POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : fog-in-a-box? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:38 EDT (-0400)
  fog-in-a-box? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Folkert van Heusden
Subject: fog-in-a-box?
Date: 1 Aug 2007 10:21:41
Message: <46b096f5$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Would it be possible to somehow create fog-in-a-box?

From: Warp
Subject: Re: fog-in-a-box?
Date: 1 Aug 2007 11:24:04
Message: <46b0a594@news.povray.org>

http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/416/

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Folkert van Heusden
Date: 1 Aug 2007 11:34:19
Message: <46b0a7fb$1@news.povray.org>
>> Would it be possible to somehow create fog-in-a-box?
> http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/416/

That's light fall-off, that's different from fog as fog is more or less
random.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 1 Aug 2007 11:36:24
Message: <46b0a878@news.povray.org>
Folkert van Heusden <fol### [at] vanheusdencom> wrote:
> >> Would it be possible to somehow create fog-in-a-box?
> > http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/416/

> That's light fall-off, that's different from fog as fog is more or less
> random.

  Says who?-)

  If you want fog with varying density,
http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/419/
http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/94/

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 1 Aug 2007 17:14:36
Message: <46b0f7bc$1@news.povray.org>
Folkert van Heusden nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/01 11:34:
>>> Would it be possible to somehow create fog-in-a-box?
>> http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/416/
>
> That's light fall-off, that's different from fog as fog is more or less
> random.

In my experience with RL fog, when there is little to no wind, fog is prety
uniform. Otherwize, it tend to comform to the turbulence in the air flow.

Just fill a box with scattering media, add "hollow" to allow the box to contain
that media. If you want non-uniform fog, add a density statement with some
pattern, like bumps or granite, optionaly with some turbulence.

--
Alain
I bet exercise equipment would be a lot more

Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel Benge
Date: 1 Aug 2007 17:52:02
Message: <46b10082@news.povray.org>
Folkert van Heusden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to somehow create fog-in-a-box?

Yes, it is indeed possible, and you will get effects unlike those which
  media or attenuation produce. This code works:

//**********************
fog{rgb 1 distance 4 }

box{<-5,-4,-5>,<5,4,5>
  pigment{rgbt 1}
  inverse
  rotate y*25
}
//**********************

If you want fog in the rest of your scene, some complex csg operations
will be needed.

Hope it helps~

~Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 1 Aug 2007 19:35:49
Message: <46b118d5@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/01 17:52:
> Folkert van Heusden wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Would it be possible to somehow create fog-in-a-box?
>
> Yes, it is indeed possible, and you will get effects unlike those which
>  media or attenuation produce. This code works:
>
> //**********************
> fog{rgb 1 distance 4 }
>
> box{<-5,-4,-5>,<5,4,5>
>  pigment{rgbt 1}
>  inverse
>  rotate y*25
> }
>
> If you want fog in the rest of your scene, some complex csg operations
> will be needed.
>
> Hope it helps~
>
> ~Sam
Only work if the camera is inside the box. If the camera is outside, you must
use a difference with the box and another object around the camera. That object
must have texture{color{rgbt 1}finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0}}.