POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : optic guide. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:10 EDT (-0400)
  optic guide. (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: Re: optic guide.
Date: 9 Jun 2007 10:27:17
Message: <466ab8c5$1@news.povray.org>
There is a test render at p.b.images
I think it works but don't ask me how good it is for real optics
applications ...

TP Electronics schrieb:
> I want to desing a optic guide for en LED.
> It is possible to simulated this with povray?
> I can not see where I can change specification of material to define the
> guide.
> I am play with led source but not manage to make a led with 10degres angle.
> Best regard
> Thierry

Post a reply to this message

From: TP Electronics
Date: 9 Jun 2007 11:45:03
Message: <466acaff$1@news.povray.org>
To answer to Marc.
I am design a panel unit with 7 switch/ key. custormer will at when the key
is activ, the key ligthing.
I have place 2 light source ( LED ) between the switch and want desing a
knopp to active the switch and guide the light of LED to the top.
I will try differente form of knopp to have the best light on the top.

I have read the manuel with ligth source, try som but have not some result.
I am not a prof with povray, I am using Povray with the CAD software eagle
to show som 3D pictures of my board.
I will try all tips you write.

"TP Electronics" <tp### [at] tpelectronicsno> skrev i melding
>I want to desing a optic guide for en LED.
> It is possible to simulated this with povray?
> I can not see where I can change specification of material to define the
> guide.
> I am play with led source but not manage to make a led with 10degres
> angle.
> Best regard
> Thierry

Post a reply to this message

> I am design a panel unit with 7 switch/ key. custormer will at when the
> key is activ, the key ligthing.
> I have place 2 light source ( LED ) between the switch and want desing a
> knopp to active the switch and guide the light of LED to the top.
> I will try differente form of knopp to have the best light on the top.
>
> I have read the manuel with ligth source, try som but have not some
> result.
> I am not a prof with povray, I am using Povray with the CAD software eagle
> to show som 3D pictures of my board.
> I will try all tips you write.

I think you won't get accurate simulation of that guide.
Usually it is try and error process to get what we want.
But maybe you could try a pigment with filter 1
like :

pigment {color rgb 1 filter 1}

or shorter
pigment {color rgbf 1}

It is hard to give code without knowing exactly what you want :-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: TP Electronics
Date: 9 Jun 2007 13:57:32
Message: <466aea0c$1@news.povray.org>
ok thanks marc.
It is do not what I espect.
I understand at it is perhaps not povray SW to do this simulation.
Thierry
"Marc" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> skrev i melding

> 466acaff$1@news.povray.org...
>> To answer to Marc.
>> I am design a panel unit with 7 switch/ key. custormer will at when the
>> key is activ, the key ligthing.
>> I have place 2 light source ( LED ) between the switch and want desing a
>> knopp to active the switch and guide the light of LED to the top.
>> I will try differente form of knopp to have the best light on the top.
>>
>> I have read the manuel with ligth source, try som but have not some
>> result.
>> I am not a prof with povray, I am using Povray with the CAD software
>> eagle to show som 3D pictures of my board.
>> I will try all tips you write.
>>

> I think you won't get accurate simulation of that guide.
> Usually it is try and error process to get what we want.
> But maybe you could try a pigment with filter 1
> like :
>
> pigment {color rgb 1 filter 1}
>
> or shorter
> pigment {color rgbf 1}
>
> It is hard to give code without knowing exactly what you want :-)
>
> Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 9 Jun 2007 15:08:05
Message: <466afa95$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Thierry,

did have a look at

?

Is that what you want ...

Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

From: Charles C
Date: 9 Jun 2007 16:30:01
Message: <web.466b0ce3cb54bcb6e33c01c00@news.povray.org>
"TP Electronics" <tp### [at] tpelectronicsno> wrote:
> I want to desing a optic guide for en LED.
> It is possible to simulated this with povray?
> I can not see where I can change specification of material to define the
> guide.
> I am play with led source but not manage to make a led with 10degres angle.
> Best regard
> Thierry

Do you mean one of those clear plastic prisms that brings light from the LED
up to the front of a piece of consumer-electronics?  You might try enabling
photons and setting the optic guide as a "target."

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/425/

Also see the insert-menu item "Photons scene" under "scene templates" (if
you're using Windows)for a good demonstrations of using photons.

I haven't tried it, but I have a feeling you may also need a
double-illuminated surface for the photons to hit after going through the
prism.  Again, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, and I
haven't tried what I am suggesting.

Charles

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 9 Jun 2007 23:01:42
Message: <466b6996$1@news.povray.org>
TP Electronics nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/06/09 07:57:
> I want to desing a optic guide for en LED.
> It is possible to simulated this with povray?
> I can not see where I can change specification of material to define the
> guide.
> I am play with led source but not manage to make a led with 10degres angle.
> Best regard
> Thierry

My gues would be to use photons.
Add the folowing to your light guide deffinition:
photons{target refraction on reflection on collect off}
(this can be added in a material{...} block)
and the following to your #global_settings{...} block:
photons{count 100000} OR photons{spacing 0.01}

Photons are a form of "forward" tracing where you start from the light_source,
go toward selected objects marked with a target atribute, then to other object
or the camera.
A ray tracer normaly use backward ray tracing where you start from the camera to
the object and test with light_source to know the illumination.

--
Alain
My toes were playing the piano under the blankets.

Post a reply to this message

From: TP Electronics
Date: 10 Jun 2007 03:08:45
Message: <466ba37d$1@news.povray.org>
Well it must be the rigth way but do not understand how to use it.
I do not find "clear" example. It is a picture to show what I want to do but
not example of code.
I have spend to much hours to try.
Thanks for all help.
Perhaps I will try later if I fnd more info.
I can not understand how to use photons and where?

From: Marc
Date: 10 Jun 2007 03:59:37
Message: <466baf69$1@news.povray.org>

466ba37d$1@news.povray.org...
> Well it must be the rigth way but do not understand how to use it.
> I do not find "clear" example. It is a picture to show what I want to do
> but not example of code.

maybe a  drawing by hand :-)

Marc

If you want an accurate simulation, POV ins not the good way.
But if you accept to fake it, there are solutions
If I understand you put a LED behind a transparent/filtering piece of
plastic.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: TP Electronics
Date: 10 Jun 2007 09:35:28
Message: <466bfe20$1@news.povray.org>
Yes it is correct.
The close I arrived. with following code:

global_settings {photons { count 20000 autostop 0 jitter .4  } }
camera {location <0, 0,-12.0> look_at 0 angle 30 }

#declare LED_RED=
light_source { <0, 0, 0> color Red    }

#declare  KNOPP=
difference
{
        cylinder {<0,2,0><0,10,0>,12/2 }
        cylinder {<0,0,0><0,2+1.35,0>,3/2 }
        texture{T_Glass1 } finish {ambient .01 diffuse .9}

}
background {Gray20}

union
{
 object { LED_RED translate<6.000000-4.25,00000,6.000000>}
 object { LED_RED translate<6.000000+4.25,00000,6.000000>}
 //cylinder {<0,2,0><0,10,0>,6 texture{T_Glass1 } finish {ambient .01
diffuse .5}
 object { KNOPP translate<6.000000,1.700000,6.000000>}

scale <.1,.1,.1>
rotate <30,0,0>
}
//End union

> 466ba37d$1@news.povray.org...
>> Well it must be the rigth way but do not understand how to use it.
>> I do not find "clear" example. It is a picture to show what I want to do
>> but not example of code.
>
> maybe a  drawing by hand :-)
>
> Marc
>
> If you want an accurate simulation, POV ins not the good way.
> But if you accept to fake it, there are solutions
> If I understand you put a LED behind a transparent/filtering piece of
> plastic.
>
> Marc

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: