POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent Objects Server Time
18 Jun 2024 08:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Transparent Objects (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Simon
Subject: Re: Transparent Objects
Date: 27 May 2007 12:16:44
Message: <4659aeec$1@news.povray.org>
Sorry, I should've been more clear - I'm actually just using a real sphere
with various lighting effecets to light my scene - so whilst it is
technically a sky sphere, it's not done the way POV usually would - I'm
trying to get a natural lighting effect (as per a seminar I saw by Paul
Debevec). Results have been quite good (I've posted a vid in p.b.a if you're
interested)

The Sky declaration is:

 union{
  sphere{0,5
   hollow no_shadow
   texture{
    pigment{
     function{fp(x,y,z).gray}
     poly_wave light_exponent
     color_map{
     [0.0 rgb 0]
     [1.0 rgb light_ambient]
     }
    }
  finish { ambient light_ambient diffuse 0 }
   }
  }
  sphere{0,4.999
   hollow no_shadow
   texture{
    pigment{p_image_filtered}
  finish { ambient light_ambient diffuse 0 }
   }
  }
 }

(I hasten to add that this is not my code - I grabbed it online. Am not 100%
sure where from but will find it if anyone wants to know)

Thanks for any help you can give Stephen :)

-Simon

"Stephen" <mcavoysATaolDOTcom@> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 May 2007 14:41:24 +0100, "Simon" <povray@*NOSPAM*SOWare.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>It's working (ish) with the objects. I have a sky sphere and want to fade
>>that too....
>
> I've never obtained satisfactory results when trying to fade an object. So
> might not be the best person to help you further. :-(
> But I've just checked this and it looks like Pov can only use one
> sky_sphere.
> The last in the scene is the one it uses.
>
> Regards
> Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>   finish { ambient light_ambient diffuse 0 }
>    }
>   }
>   sphere{0,4.999
>    hollow no_shadow
>    texture{
>     pigment{p_image_filtered}
>   finish { ambient light_ambient diffuse 0 }
>    }
>   }
>  }

Have the inner sphere become increasingly transparent to reveal the
outer sphere.

If p_image_filtered is a texture declared in Pov, you can add change the
transmit value of the colors as mentioned earlier in the thread.

If it's an image, you can use the transmit bitmap modifier, described here:
http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/337/

(While I was looking that up, I accidentally ran across the
interior_texture option. I didn't know about that--it looks really useful!)

--
William Tracy

Post a reply to this message