POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Linux VS Xp Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Linux VS Xp (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Edee
Subject: Linux VS Xp
Date: 20 Dec 2005 23:35:00
Message: <web.43a8dac346dc31618bbafa7b0@news.povray.org>
I am currently using an Intel Celeron 2.93GHz XP home edition PC with 500MB
RAM and rendering times are on average one hour for the most basic types of
scenes involving a dozen objects, especially when transparent surfaces are
used.  I know there are a number of parameters I can play with to improve
this but am planning to upgrade.

Is there a significant improvement in rendering time by switching to Linux
from XP?

Has anyone used vmware to install both xp and linux?

Is there a preferred hardware/CPU configuration to consider in the upgrade?

The answer to any of these would be appreciated, and is ok if you just
tackle one.

Post a reply to this message