POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Soft shadows Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Soft shadows (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: bancquart sebastien
Subject: Soft shadows
Date: 8 Mar 2005 17:22:07
Message: <422e258f@news.povray.org>
Hi all.

I'm rather new to POV (about 1 month) and I am trying to do soft shadows.
For that, I used the area_light option. This softens the shadows, increases
the computation time, but generates a very "grainy" shadow.

Is there a trick to avoid it ?

To see the result of my first tries, look at :
http://croquis.over-blog.com/article-171375-6.html

(the texture on the wall is only a white pigment, no normal or other
effects...)

Post a reply to this message

> I'm rather new to POV (about 1 month) and I am trying to do soft shadows.
> For that, I used the area_light option. This softens the shadows, increases
> the computation time, but generates a very "grainy" shadow.
>
> Is there a trick to avoid it ?
>
> To see the result of my first tries, look at :
> http://croquis.over-blog.com/article-171375-6.html

I'm not noticing the 'grainy' look there ... but I know the look you
mean. I found that increasing the number of lights in the area light
will give a much less grainy shadow but doesn't increase the render time
considerably.

Cheers!
Rick

Post a reply to this message

> I found that increasing the number of lights in the area light
> will give a much less grainy shadow but doesn't increase the render time
> considerably.

  But only if you use adaptive supersampling (which you should, of course).