POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Better way to make random sequence Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Better way to make random sequence (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Bryan Heit
Subject: Better way to make random sequence
Date: 3 Dec 2004 12:49:44
Message: <41b0a738$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to create a scene which relies on the random placement/sizing
of blobs to form "rough ground".  Unfortunately, the random number
generators in Povray aren't very random (if I'm reading the help file
correctly there is just a random series of numbers that the system runs
through).  Any ways, as a result of this a pattern forms in the
topography that I am generating, and that is exactly what I'm trying to
avoid.  Has anyone out there figured out a better random-number
generator, or know of a way in which I can make pov-rays random number
generator a little more random.  Any advice (macro, code, formula or
even just ideas) is appreciated. . .

Thanx in advance

Bryan

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to create a scene which relies on the random placement/sizing
> of blobs to form "rough ground".  Unfortunately, the random number
> generators in Povray aren't very random (if I'm reading the help file
> correctly there is just a random series of numbers that the system runs
> through).  Any ways, as a result of this a pattern forms in the
> topography that I am generating, and that is exactly what I'm trying to
> avoid.  Has anyone out there figured out a better random-number
> generator, or know of a way in which I can make pov-rays random number
> generator a little more random.  Any advice (macro, code, formula or
> even just ideas) is appreciated. . .

First of all any random number generator is just a random series of
numbers that repeat after some time.  Of course the POV-Ray rand()
function is not a very good one since like most simple random number
generators it calculates the next random number from (and only from) the
last one.  Still it is unlikely (but not impossible) that a regularity
you see is caused by the rand() function.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message