POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Make a spiral Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Make a spiral (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Oleguer Vilella
Subject: Make a spiral
Date: 17 Aug 2004 02:28:24
Message: <4121a588$1@news.povray.org>
I want to do a DNA chain. I found that in Pov-Ray I can do spirals and I
think the spiral can looks like a DNA chain, but when I tray to render the
code it doesn't work. The code is:

normal
    {
        spiral1 5 [, 0 ]
      pigment { color Red }
     scale
     rotate
     translate
}

Do you know what is the problem?

Best regards,
Oleguer

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Make a spiral
Date: 17 Aug 2004 02:45:02
Message: <cfs9fb$2mg$1@chho.imagico.de>
Oleguer Vilella wrote:
> I want to do a DNA chain. I found that in Pov-Ray I can do spirals and I
> think the spiral can looks like a DNA chain, but when I tray to render the
> code it doesn't work. The code is:
>
> normal
>     {
>         spiral1 5 [, 0 ]
>       pigment { color Red }
>      scale
>      rotate
>      translate
> }
>
> Do you know what is the problem?

The problem is that this is not a valid normal statement.

Valid (inside a texture{}) would be

normal {
   spiral1 5
}

the rest is nonsense.

But of course this would not create a spiral, it would just modify the
normal of the object it is applied to.

Apart from that the shape of a DNA chain is not a spiral but a helix (a
double helix to be precise).

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

Yes, is a double helix, do you know how can I do it?

> Oleguer Vilella wrote:
> > I want to do a DNA chain. I found that in Pov-Ray I can do spirals and I
> > think the spiral can looks like a DNA chain, but when I tray to render
the
> > code it doesn't work. The code is:
> >
> > normal
> >     {
> >         spiral1 5 [, 0 ]
> >       pigment { color Red }
> >      scale
> >      rotate
> >      translate
> > }
> >
> > Do you know what is the problem?
>
> The problem is that this is not a valid normal statement.
>
> Valid (inside a texture{}) would be
>
> normal {
>    spiral1 5
> }
>
> the rest is nonsense.
>
> But of course this would not create a spiral, it would just modify the
> normal of the object it is applied to.
>
> Apart from that the shape of a DNA chain is not a spiral but a helix (a
> double helix to be precise).
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Sim-POV,
> HCR-Edit and more: http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/
> Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message