POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : bezier curves problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  bezier curves problem (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Kurts
Subject: bezier curves problem
Date: 3 Jul 2004 09:04:58
Message: <kurtzlepirate-3ECAB0.15045603072004@news.povray.org>
hi,

i have some trouble with 'bezier' curves. same set of points used in 'prism'
and in 'sphere_sweep' give not the same curve.

#declare courbe = prism {
  bezier_spline
  0, r,
  60,
  p1, p2, p3, ..., p60
  }

#declare spheres = sphere_sweep {
  b_spline,
  60+3,
  p1,r
  p2,r
  p3,r
  p60, r
  p1, r // for closing the curve
  p2, r
  p3, r
  }

please see image in "povray.binaries.images : bezier curves problem"

what do you think about that ?
where is my mistake ?

@+
louis

Post a reply to this message

Kurts nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 03/07/2004 09:04... :

>hi,
>
>i have some trouble with 'bezier' curves. same set of points used in 'prism'
>and in 'sphere_sweep' give not the same curve.
>
>#declare courbe = prism {
>  bezier_spline
>  0, r,
>  60,
>  p1, p2, p3, ..., p60
>  }
>
>#declare spheres = sphere_sweep {
>  b_spline,
>  60+3,
>  p1,r
>  p2,r
>  p3,r
>  p60, r
>  p1, r // for closing the curve
>  p2, r
>  p3, r
>  }
>
>please see image in "povray.binaries.images : bezier curves problem"
>
>what do you think about that ?
>where is my mistake ?
>
>@+
>louis

I don't think that the "b" in b_spline stand for bezier, more like
bicubic... Just a guess as the documentation is not clear for that point.
Bezier need multiple of four points (start, control1, control2, end),
b_spline can take any number >= 4 like 5, 6, 7...

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 15 Jul 2004 08:06:50
Message: <40f6735a$1@news.povray.org>
> i have some trouble with 'bezier' curves. same set of points used in 'prism'
> and in 'sphere_sweep' give not the same curve.

POV got different version of the same spline types internally. You will
notice that quadratic splines won't behave the same way in lathes and in
function splines ( spline {} ). Don't know if that's the problem with
your case but it could be.

HTH,
Florian