POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : multiple media objects in one scene Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  multiple media objects in one scene (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: bongotastic
Subject: multiple media objects in one scene
Date: 19 May 2004 12:50:33
Message: <40ab9059$1@news.povray.org>
Hi, I have a media related question.
If I trace two transparent sphere with a smoke-like media inside, everything
is fine. If I dare tracing three or more in my scene, I get to see the
interior surface of the spheres as black patches.

I have provided more details of what I do below. The whole smoke process is
inspired from the IRTC entry Strike that won the "First contact" round in
98. Their code does not run as is. I use POV 3.5.

cheers,

Christian

First lets pretend I have the following
code (by memory).

#declare tex =
texture{ pigment {rgbf<1,1,1,1>}
            finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1}}

#declare int =
interior{
            media{
                    scattering {1, <...> emission 1.0}
                    density{
                            spherical
                            color_map{...}
                            turbulence 0.5
                    }

            }

}

#declare mymat =
material{
    texture{tex}
    interior{int }
}

if I create only two sphere:

sphere {<0,0,0> 200 material{mymat}}
sphere {<0,0,0> 200 material{mymat} translate 100*y}

I get a beautiful smoke column made of two chunks of smoke. But if I add a
third sphere:

sphere {<0,0,0> 200 material{mymat} translate 200*y}

I get a beautiful column, but the interior surface of the spheres shows as
black patches. If I merge two of the spheres, I get no patches but the third
sphere is cut-off and the shadow cast by the smoke is also cut-off. I also
tried union of these spheres, with no good results.

Post a reply to this message

"bongotastic" <cbl### [at] csdalca> wrote:
> Hi, I have a media related question.
> If I trace two transparent sphere with a smoke-like media inside, everything
> is fine. If I dare tracing three or more in my scene, I get to see the
> interior surface of the spheres as black patches.
<snip>

> #declare tex =
> texture{ pigment {rgbf<1,1,1,1>}
>             finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1}}

I know teacher, I know!  <waving hand wildly>

I had this same problem when I was learning to play with media. Try removing
the filter component of your pigment.

RG

Post a reply to this message