POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do you write Functions? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  How do you write Functions? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Felbrigg
Subject: How do you write Functions?
Date: 9 Mar 2004 12:41:52
Message: <404e01e0$1@news.povray.org>
Can anyone give me a simple explanation of how to write a function for use
in an isosurface or a pattern.  I've seen many examples and even some
tutorials, yet none are clear on the basic input / output of a function POV.

For instance.  Do all functions return a float, if so is it always between 0
and 1?  Some functions seem to require parameters other dont, whats the rule
here.  I'm a programer by trade so coding as a rule is not a mystery.  Just
how to a start writing my own.

Post a reply to this message

> Can anyone give me a simple explanation of how to write a function for use
> in an isosurface or a pattern.  I've seen many examples and even some
> tutorials, yet none are clear on the basic input / output of a function POV.
>
> For instance.  Do all functions return a float, if so is it always between 0
> and 1?  Some functions seem to require parameters other dont, whats the rule
> here.  I'm a programer by trade so coding as a rule is not a mystery.  Just
> how to a start writing my own.

The various tutorials available should already make this pretty clear,
apart from that the docs will explain everything else:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/140/

There are examples in there for functions with specified parameters,
float/vector/color functions and everything else.

Christoph

Last updated 07 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message