POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Poser 5 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:29:45 EDT (-0400)
  Poser 5 (Message 41 to 43 of 43)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Poser 5
Date: 16 Jan 2004 15:59:25
Message: <400850ad@news.povray.org>

news:40072adc$1@news.povray.org...

> I remember reading the EULA pretty closely before I bought it and it
states
> that you can't distribute original geometry, but you can do whatever you
> want to with the output (images, movies). I suppose if you want to sell
> clothes for Poser, you'll want to sell through their Content Paradise
site.

No, I don't think so. Content Paradise merchants also sell at Renderosity
and elsewhere and some have their own on-line shops. Poser-born geometries
have little marketing value actually and most of the goodies are made for
DAZ's and other models which are far more popular than the original Poser
ones. In fact EULA issues exist also for DAZ and other merchants. IIRC, it
all started when Zygote (former parent company of DAZ) and CL went to court
in Europe over someone selling their meshes and lost due to a too liberal
EULA at this time. Both companies became very cautious after that,
particularly as the market for Poser goods grew into a real cottage
industry. In any case, I think that the EULAs have been rewritten to take
care of the particular needs of the merchants.

> The thing about Poser is that you pretty much HAVE to start from their
> figure geometry in order to make these clothes reasonably close-fitting. I
> don't know what kind of leg they'd have to stand on based on the
limitations
> of their software. Most of the shirts and stuff is just a matter of
grabbing
> a polygon group and dropping it into a patch editor to alter a few points.

If you have a good modeller, there are fast methods that do not require
reusing the same polygons and give in fact better results. In Rhino, for
instance, you can use contour curves for this type of job. The only Poser
modelling that requires the original geometry is morph creation, but then
you do not have to disseminate the polygons, just the difference between
your morph and the original part, and the difference is 100% yours.

G.

--
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

>If you have a good modeller, there are fast methods that do not require
>reusing the same polygons and give in fact better results. In Rhino, for
>instance, you can use contour curves for this type of job.

I'm not familiar with Rhino, but if you're talking about some facility
that traces the shape of the underlying model, then I think that would
be considered to come under "other Derivative forms" and is restricted
by the EULA in the same way as re-triangulation of Restricted Content.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not familiar with Rhino, but if you're talking about some facility
> that traces the shape of the underlying model, then I think that would
> be considered to come under "other Derivative forms" and is restricted
> by the EULA in the same way as re-triangulation of Restricted Content.

The curves are rebuilt and simplified, so there's nothing left from the
original geometry apart the global shape (and CL cannot claim to have a
patent on the human body shape...).
http://market.renderosity.com/~rhino/spiketuts/poserfigure/poserfigure.htm
The technique is used to create clothes and props and is promoted on the
Renderosity marketplace, which is a CL business partner, so I guess it's all
right.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com