POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Grass (New Problem) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Grass (New Problem) (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Brent G
Subject: Grass (New Problem)
Date: 17 Sep 2003 15:34:07
Message: <3f68b72f$1@news.povray.org>
Yay :) Sorry I'm bugging you all with so many questions but . . . I got
a question. Using Gilles' MakeGrass macro, I've created a nice patch of
grass, only problem is that it's a mesh 100k some triangles (Yikes) and
in relation to the rest of my scene it's a small portion, so I'll have
to use alot of these patches . . now herein lies the problem, having to
parse 100k triangles a few hundred times is . . . not good? I'm sure I'm
missing something obvious here. . . .

Post a reply to this message

> Yay :) Sorry I'm bugging you all with so many questions but . . . I got
> a question. Using Gilles' MakeGrass macro, I've created a nice patch of
> grass, only problem is that it's a mesh 100k some triangles (Yikes) and
> in relation to the rest of my scene it's a small portion, so I'll have
> to use alot of these patches . . now herein lies the problem, having to
> parse 100k triangles a few hundred times is . . . not good? I'm sure I'm
> missing something obvious here. . . .

You only parse it once, and use multiple copies of it. Actually, you
should make several different patches, and pick from them randomly to
avoid tiling artifacts.

When copying a mesh, POV will keep just one instance of the actual mesh
data. 100 copies of that 100K triangle mesh will store 100K triangles
and their associated data and 100 references to that data. This is what
makes meshes so useful for grass.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

>>Yay :) Sorry I'm bugging you all with so many questions but . . . I got
>>a question. Using Gilles' MakeGrass macro, I've created a nice patch of
>>grass, only problem is that it's a mesh 100k some triangles (Yikes) and
>>in relation to the rest of my scene it's a small portion, so I'll have
>>to use alot of these patches . . now herein lies the problem, having to
>>parse 100k triangles a few hundred times is . . . not good? I'm sure I'm
>>missing something obvious here. . . .
>

> You only parse it once, and use multiple copies of it. Actually, you
> should make several different patches, and pick from them randomly to
> avoid tiling artifacts.
>
> When copying a mesh, POV will keep just one instance of the actual mesh
> data. 100 copies of that 100K triangle mesh will store 100K triangles
> and their associated data and 100 references to that data. This is what
> makes meshes so useful for grass.

   object {
     #include "fgrass1.inc"

     texture {
       pigment {
         dents
         triangle_wave
         color_map {
           [0.0 rgb <0.0, 0.4, 0.1>]
           [1.0 rgb <0.1, 0.6, 0.2>]
         }
       }
     }
     scale 0.08
     translate <0.5,0.6,-8.0>
   }

Would that be correct then? Just alternate the #include line between
grass patches?

Post a reply to this message