POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Grass (New Problem) : Re: Grass (New Problem) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass (New Problem)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Sep 2003 18:19:00
Message: <cjameshuff-7D8F52.18180217092003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f68b72f$1@news.povray.org>, Brent G <pov### [at] bc-hqcom>
wrote:

> Yay :) Sorry I'm bugging you all with so many questions but . . . I got
> a question. Using Gilles' MakeGrass macro, I've created a nice patch of
> grass, only problem is that it's a mesh 100k some triangles (Yikes) and
> in relation to the rest of my scene it's a small portion, so I'll have
> to use alot of these patches . . now herein lies the problem, having to
> parse 100k triangles a few hundred times is . . . not good? I'm sure I'm
> missing something obvious here. . . .

You only parse it once, and use multiple copies of it. Actually, you
should make several different patches, and pick from them randomly to
avoid tiling artifacts.

When copying a mesh, POV will keep just one instance of the actual mesh
data. 100 copies of that 100K triangle mesh will store 100K triangles
and their associated data and 100 references to that data. This is what
makes meshes so useful for grass.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/