POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Calculate the camera position automatic Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:09:58 EDT (-0400)
  Calculate the camera position automatic (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
Subject: Calculate the camera position automatic
Date: 7 Sep 2003 11:53:33
Message: <3f5b547d$1@news.povray.org>
Hi

i have an object which i don't know the dimensions (created by an external
script) Now i want to show this object as full image (to fill most of the
image but nothing of the object should be hidden) and so I have to
automaticly calculate the position of the camera. How can i do this? I think
i can do this using max_extend and min_extend. But how without a lot of
calculations? Is there an easy way?

Setting the camera manually is not an option. I have about 500 of this
objects and they are all different.
It is for my converter from Eagle (a PCB layout programm) to POVRay.

--

mat### [at] matweide
http://www.matwei.de

Post a reply to this message

Using the max/min_extend functions seems to be the correct way to do it,
I would then center it, and compute the camera position according to the
size of the object, but I don't expect a lot of calculations for that.
You should be able to set a correct position with a few test and tries.
You can also have a fixed camera and scale your objects to fit in a
given box, for example box { -1, 1 }, you would have to find their
biggest dimension and then scale that dimension to the box.

I hope that helps,

JC (Exether)

> Hi
>
> i have an object which i don't know the dimensions (created by an external
> script) Now i want to show this object as full image (to fill most of the
> image but nothing of the object should be hidden) and so I have to
> automaticly calculate the position of the camera. How can i do this? I think
> i can do this using max_extend and min_extend. But how without a lot of
> calculations? Is there an easy way?
>
> Setting the camera manually is not an option. I have about 500 of this
> objects and they are all different.
> It is for my converter from Eagle (a PCB layout programm) to POVRay.
>

> --

> mat### [at] matweide
> http://www.matwei.de

Post a reply to this message