POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : "include" file designs Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  "include" file designs (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: "include" file designs
Date: 22 Feb 2003 12:43:14
Message: <cjameshuff-BE3C1F.12400822022003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e56bb6b@news.povray.org>, "Tim Nikias" <tim### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> > None of the standard includes are. Dealing with such files is quite rare
> > for most people, it is the exception, not the rule.
>
> I wouldn't say that. Many of those who use external programs
> like sPatch (though that one doesn't export triangles) export
> to a lot of triangles once they are converted with sufficient
> resolution. Heck, my "Gerberas" Image required some thousands
> of triangles for the petals, the vase, the background...

But that is the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of include
files would have no significant benefit from an inclusion guard outside
the include.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Date: 23 Feb 2003 10:09:20
Message: <3e58e420@news.povray.org>
> But that is the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of include
> files would have no significant benefit from an inclusion guard outside
> the include.

I'm still not so sure about that, but it depends if you're talking
about SDL-Includes, like Rune's Particle System, Colefax's files
etc, or about objects, so if you're talking about the first kind
of files, then you're right, and I would agree.
But for the more professional users (talking of guys who are likely
to make money off of their images), I think that multi-megabyte
files aren't the exception, but rather the rule.
So I guess it depends on the situtation and perspective, like
if we talk about general POV Users (which I think you are) or
about those that try to accompany POVs capabilities with
the flexibility of modelling with other tools (which I am).

Would that be fine for us both to agree on? I like to have
settled and calm endings to different points of view, that's why
I'm asking...

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde