POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : distant light sources Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  distant light sources (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Slashdolt
Subject: distant light sources
Date: 3 Feb 2003 09:02:32
Message: <3e3e7678@news.povray.org>
I'm creating an outdoor scene, and since most of my scene is fairly close to
the camera, I've been using "inches" as the unit of scale.  However, I
started to add some minor features to the background and wanted to have them
about 200 yards/meters away and still have them be visible (that's 200*3*12
units), so I backed up my "sun" to about 10 miles away (10*5280*12 units).
My render became incredibly slow, and I've noticed that the shadows have
almost disappeared (using radiosity).  Does something happen to very distant
light sources that causes this?  Are my numbers getting too big or
something?

I'm using a point light source, focal blur, and radiosity.  Other than that,
I don't have any strange settings.

Should I simply alter the scale of my objects and make my "sun" fewer units
away?  I suppose I can experiment with these things, but my current render
was taking about 10 hours (putting my light source 1 mile away appears to
make it about 20 hours), so it's pretty time-consuming for trial and error.

I looked in the manual, and did a couple ng searches, but I didn't turn up
anything related to this.  I suppose there is also a chance that I
inadvertently changed something else in my scene file, but I don't think I
did...

--
Slash

Post a reply to this message