POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : question about the newsgroups Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  question about the newsgroups (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Tom Melly
Subject: question about the newsgroups
Date: 15 Apr 1999 21:46:01
Message: <37168849.0@news.povray.org>
which of the newsgroups are considered the most appropriate for asking for
help or information. General has a nice informal feel and it seems a shame
to clutter it up with too many pleas and questions. Newbies is always an
option, but it would be muddying the waters to ask about matrix, vnormalize
and such-like. Tutorials looks like the best bet, judging from the posts,
but the title implies something else (although admittedly similiar).

Does an  informal etiquette exist? Does anyone know what it is? Could this
be a queue for a faq? (and what is vnormalize?)

Post a reply to this message

>which of the newsgroups are considered the most appropriate for asking for
>help or information. General has a nice informal feel and it seems a shame
>to clutter it up with too many pleas and questions. Newbies is always an
>option, but it would be muddying the waters to ask about matrix, vnormalize
>and such-like. Tutorials looks like the best bet, judging from the posts,
>but the title implies something else (although admittedly similiar).
>
>Does an  informal etiquette exist? Does anyone know what it is? Could this
>be a queue for a faq? (and what is vnormalize?)

IMO, the only etiquette is your common netiquette. The rest is somewhat
subjective and also depends on what kind of a reply you expect. When ask
post in .newusers, people will assume that you are exactly that - a new
user - and will (hopefully) try to base their replies on that assumption. In
.general, you can expect more technical replies which assume a certain
familiarity with POV.

As for vnormalize:
vnormalize(V) returns a vector, which has the same direction as V, but is
exactly 1 POV units long.
It's often useful when you want a vector with the same direction as V, but
with a specific length, say, 5.5 units. You would do it like this:
vnormalize(V)*5.5

Multiplying a vector changes its length while preserving its direction.
Adding to a vector basically changes its offset, while preserving its
length.

But I'm deviating from the original question here.

Margus

Post a reply to this message

>which of the newsgroups are considered the most appropriate for asking for
>help or information. General has a nice informal feel and it seems a shame
>to clutter it up with too many pleas and questions. Newbies is always an
>option, but it would be muddying the waters to ask about matrix, vnormalize
>and such-like. Tutorials looks like the best bet, judging from the posts,
>but the title implies something else (although admittedly similiar).

This is a good question - we need a group for advanced users. So, if you get
new groups you will see a group called 'povray.advanced-users'.

Post a reply to this message