POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Placement of Text Object Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Placement of Text Object (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mandrake
Subject: Placement of Text Object
Date: 17 Nov 2002 14:34:20
Message: <3dd7ef3a@news.povray.org>
Hi guys. I'm a glaring newbie here when it comes to scripting for Povray,
but so far I'm really liking it. I've run across a tad bit of a difficult
problem though. What I am trying to do is figure out an easy way to
position the text string straight ahead of the camera (as if that was your
focal point), so that it can easily be read (and changed if necessary). The
problem is, with the camera angle as such, I'm finding it near about
impossible to line up the text correctly. Anybody have any ideas on how
this can be done?

Any suggestions are appreciated...

--
Take care,
Randall

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  max_trace_level 15
}

#include "colors.inc"

#default { finish { ambient 0.07 }}

camera {
  location  <-1.1,  -0.6,  0.15>
  direction y
  sky       z
  up        z
  right     (4/3)*x
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0, 0.05>
  angle 43
}

light_source {
  <-8.0,   6.2,   4.5>
  color rgb 1.3
}

#declare Test =   text { ttf "/home/fonts/Aladdin.ttf", "Text String", .15,
0.0 }

#declare Text =
  union
  {
    object { Test rotate <0,0,0> translate <0,0,0> }
        texture{pigment { BrightGold }
                finish {        ambient 0.35
                diffuse 0.0
                specular 1.0
                roughness 0.0005
                reflection { 1.0 metallic 1.0 }
                reflection <.4,.4,.5>
                brilliance 5.0
                metallic }}
  }

object
{
  Text rotate <0,0,0>
  translate <-1,0,0>
}

Post a reply to this message

Mandrake <Man### [at] dream-servercom> wrote:

> Hi guys. I'm a glaring newbie here when it comes to scripting for Povray,
> but so far I'm really liking it. I've run across a tad bit of a difficult
> problem though. What I am trying to do is figure out an easy way to
> position the text string straight ahead of the camera (as if that was your
> focal point), so that it can easily be read (and changed if necessary). The
> problem is, with the camera angle as such, I'm finding it near about
> impossible to line up the text correctly. Anybody have any ideas on how
> this can be done?
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated...

I think the standard file screen.inc does exactly what you want.

--
Kaveh

Post a reply to this message

Thanks Kaveh. I'm really trying to get adjusted to this type of programming.
I'm a perl programmer by trade, and I don't have to think in 3 dimensions
in that language, so this one's taking a tad longer to get used to :)

--
Take care,
Randall

Kaveh wrote:

> Mandrake <Man### [at] dream-servercom> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys. I'm a glaring newbie here when it comes to scripting for Povray,
>> but so far I'm really liking it. I've run across a tad bit of a difficult
>> problem though. What I am trying to do is figure out an easy way to
>> position the text string straight ahead of the camera (as if that was
>> your focal point), so that it can easily be read (and changed if
>> necessary). The problem is, with the camera angle as such, I'm finding it
>> near about impossible to line up the text correctly. Anybody have any
>> ideas on how this can be done?
>>
>> Any suggestions are appreciated...
>
> I think the standard file screen.inc does exactly what you want.

Post a reply to this message

Mandrake <Man### [at] dream-servercom> wrote:

> Thanks Kaveh. I'm really trying to get adjusted to this type of programming.
> I'm a perl programmer by trade, and I don't have to think in 3 dimensions
> in that language, so this one's taking a tad longer to get used to :)

I'm a beginner too. It's not often I can contribute to the list, so when
I could, I jumped at the chance!!

Keep at it. It'll be worth it. I am a "TeXie", and discovered povray
recently. They are both languages with limitless possibilities, and both
written in the great spirit of free software.

--
Kaveh