POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : [Q] POV-Ray in command line Server Time: 26 Feb 2021 22:41:42 GMT
  [Q] POV-Ray in command line (Message 1 to 10 of 23)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Francois LE COAT
Subject: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 27 Jan 2021 15:30:08
Message: <60118700$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I use POV-Ray in command line under macOS Catalina and Macports,
and run it about 2000 times, in order to render 2000 images. My
issue is when you launch `povray` in command line, it opens a
menu bar, and displays an icon in the macOS dock ...

Is there a command line option, that prevents POV-Ray from displaying
a menu bar and an icon in the dock ? Because when you launch it 2000
times, for 2000 images, the Apple Finder and the Macintosh become
unusable ... The computer keeps displaying the bar and the icon,
and you can't do anything else with the Macintosh. You have to wait
that the 2000 images are rendered ... You have to wait half an hour,
so that POV-Ray stops rendering.

There must be a solution. Because you can't do anything else, before
POV-Ray has stopped rendering ... This is very painful ...

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

-- 
François LE COAT
<http://eureka.atari.org/>


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 28 Jan 2021 13:16:49
Message: <6012b941$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/27/21 10:30 AM, Francois LE COAT wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I use POV-Ray in command line under macOS Catalina and Macports,
> and run it about 2000 times, in order to render 2000 images. My
> issue is when you launch `povray` in command line, it opens a
> menu bar, and displays an icon in the macOS dock ...
> 
> Is there a command line option, that prevents POV-Ray from displaying
> a menu bar and an icon in the dock ? 
> 

Unsure if true with the macOS version you are running, but with 
Linux/Unix versions (which only display an icon) you can use '-d' to not 
create a preview display and icon or '--preview text' (or '-y text) to 
use the inbuilt text only mode.

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: Francois LE COAT
Subject: Re: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 28 Jan 2021 16:05:02
Message: <6012e0ae$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

William F Pokorny writes:
> Francois LE COAT wrote:
>> I use POV-Ray in command line under macOS Catalina and Macports,
>> and run it about 2000 times, in order to render 2000 images. My
>> issue is when you launch `povray` in command line, it opens a
>> menu bar, and displays an icon in the macOS dock ...
>>
>> Is there a command line option, that prevents POV-Ray from displaying
>> a menu bar and an icon in the dock ?
> 
> Unsure if true with the macOS version you are running, but with 
> Linux/Unix versions (which only display an icon) you can use '-d' to no
t 
> create a preview display and icon or '--preview text' (or '-y text) to 

> use the inbuilt text only mode.
> 
> Bill P.

My .INI file is :
"
All_Console=Off
Antialias=On
Bounding_Threshold=3
Continue_Trace=Off
Display=Off
Draw_Vistas=On
Height=640
Input_File_Name="./pacman_mod.pov"
Library_Path="/usr/share/povray-3.7"
Library_Path="/usr/share/povray-3.7/ini"
Library_Path="/usr/share/povray-3.7/include"
Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.7"
Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.7/ini"
Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.7/include"
Output_File_Name="./pacman.png"
Output_File_Type=N
Output_To_File=On
Split_Unions=On
Test_Abort=Off
Verbose=On
Width=640
Work_Threads=12
"
I don't know how I should modify it, so that is doesn't use a menu bar,
and show an icon in the macOS dock. "Display=Off" is set, so what shoul
d
I do more ? I want POV-Ray to be quiet ... The menu bar and icon are
embarrassing. That prevents from using anything else than POV-Ray :-(

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

-- 
François LE COAT
<http://eureka.atari.org/>


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 28 Jan 2021 18:37:00
Message: <6013044c$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

you need to find out who created that port and figure out what they did. 
The regular Unix code does not create any menu bar or icon because it 
simply knows nothing about Mac OS X.

The other thing is that you should not be starting 2000 instances of 
POV-Ray at the same time...

Thorsten

On 28.01.2021 17:05, Francois LE COAT wrote:
> William F Pokorny writes:
>> Francois LE COAT wrote:
>>> I use POV-Ray in command line under macOS Catalina and Macports,
>>> and run it about 2000 times, in order to render 2000 images. My
>>> issue is when you launch `povray` in command line, it opens a
>>> menu bar, and displays an icon in the macOS dock ...
>>>
>>> Is there a command line option, that prevents POV-Ray from displaying
>>> a menu bar and an icon in the dock ?
>>
>> Unsure if true with the macOS version you are running, but with 
>> Linux/Unix versions (which only display an icon) you can use '-d' to 
>> not create a preview display and icon or '--preview text' (or '-y 
>> text) to use the inbuilt text only mode.
>>

> I don't know how I should modify it, so that is doesn't use a menu bar,
> and show an icon in the macOS dock. "Display=Off" is set, so what should
> I do more ? I want POV-Ray to be quiet ... The menu bar and icon are
> embarrassing. That prevents from using anything else than POV-Ray :-(


Post a reply to this message

From: Francois LE COAT
Subject: Re: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 28 Jan 2021 20:38:35
Message: <601320cb@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Thorsten writes:
> you need to find out who created that port and figure out what they did
. 
> The regular Unix code does not create any menu bar or icon because it 
> simply knows nothing about Mac OS X.

That's the POV_Ray port available in Macports for macOS Catalina :

	<https://ports.macports.org/port/povray/>

I'd better build POV_Ray myself, what I already done, if there's no
peculiar option to suppress usage of the menu bar, and dock's icon.

> The other thing is that you should not be starting 2000 instances of 
> POV-Ray at the same time...

I launch POV_Ray about 2000 times, one after the other, with the use
of 12 threads (the Macintosh has 9 cores), and I must do something
else in between, because the Mac is completely monopolized. I can't
even read my email, because the Finder's interface becomes a mess ...

It's really curious that no Mac user ever noticed that peculiarity
of the Macports version. There must not be a lot of users like me :-)

> Francois LE COAT wrote:
>> William F Pokorny writes:
>>> Francois LE COAT wrote:
>>>> I use POV-Ray in command line under macOS Catalina and Macports,
>>>> and run it about 2000 times, in order to render 2000 images. My
>>>> issue is when you launch `povray` in command line, it opens a
>>>> menu bar, and displays an icon in the macOS dock ...
>>>>
>>>> Is there a command line option, that prevents POV-Ray from displayin
g
>>>> a menu bar and an icon in the dock ?
>>>
>>> Unsure if true with the macOS version you are running, but with 
>>> Linux/Unix versions (which only display an icon) you can use '-d' to 

>>> not create a preview display and icon or '--preview text' (or '-y 
>>> text) to use the inbuilt text only mode.
>>>
> 
>> I don't know how I should modify it, so that is doesn't use a menu bar
,
>> and show an icon in the macOS dock. "Display=Off" is set, so what sh
ould
>> I do more ? I want POV-Ray to be quiet ... The menu bar and icon are
>> embarrassing. That prevents from using anything else than POV-Ray :-(

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

-- 
François LE COAT
<http://eureka.atari.org/>


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 28 Jan 2021 20:40:46
Message: <6013214e$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/28/21 1:37 PM, Thorsten wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> you need to find out who created that port and figure out what they did. 
> The regular Unix code does not create any menu bar or icon because it 
> simply knows nothing about Mac OS X.
> 
> The other thing is that you should not be starting 2000 instances of 
> POV-Ray at the same time...
> 
> Thorsten
> 
> On 28.01.2021 17:05, Francois LE COAT wrote:
> 
>> I don't know how I should modify it, so that is doesn't use a menu bar,
>> and show an icon in the macOS dock. "Display=Off" is set, so what should
>> I do more ? I want POV-Ray to be quiet ... The menu bar and icon are
>> embarrassing. That prevents from using anything else than POV-Ray :-(

I agree with Thorsten that finding the author of your particular port 
and asking them whether one can suppress the menu bar and icon may 
ultimately be your only option.

That said, people doing mac ports have posted unix/linux build issues to 
github - so some are using the shipped unix/linux build system. You have 
the display off - good. Somewhere you are issuing a command line like:

povray your.ini ...

It's a shot in the dark, but add '--preview text' to the command line 
and see if that helps... Try first running a single job with that 
command line. It's a unix/linux only option and not an ini settable one. 
If it isn't supported / doesn't work, it should be immediately obvious 
from one render.

Agree too that, if you are submitting 2000 jobs at once, that's likely 
as much the issue with usability as anything. Funneling jobs in over 
time would be better and doing that in a way tied to the availability of 
system resources best. I'd taken what you said to be 2000 jobs one after 
another over 30 minutes (<1s a render).

And a clarification to what Thorsten said about icons and POV-Ray as 
shipped. On unix/linux, if you are running a window manager which looks 
to generate icons from opening X11 windows, you do get them unless you 
override default(s).

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: Francois LE COAT
Subject: Re: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 28 Jan 2021 21:10:39
Message: <6013284f@news.povray.org>
Hi,

William F Pokorny writes:
> Thorsten wrote:
>> you need to find out who created that port and figure out what they 
>> did. The regular Unix code does not create any menu bar or icon 
>> because it simply knows nothing about Mac OS X.
>>
>> The other thing is that you should not be starting 2000 instances of 
>> POV-Ray at the same time...
>>
>> Francois LE COAT wrote:
>>> I don't know how I should modify it, so that is doesn't use a menu ba
r,
>>> and show an icon in the macOS dock. "Display=Off" is set, so what s
hould
>>> I do more ? I want POV-Ray to be quiet ... The menu bar and icon are
>>> embarrassing. That prevents from using anything else than POV-Ray :-(

> 
> I agree with Thorsten that finding the author of your particular port 
> and asking them whether one can suppress the menu bar and icon may 
> ultimately be your only option.
> 
> That said, people doing mac ports have posted unix/linux build issues t
o 
> github - so some are using the shipped unix/linux build system. You hav
e 
> the display off - good. Somewhere you are issuing a command line like:
> 
> povray your.ini ...
> 
> It's a shot in the dark, but add '--preview text' to the command line 
> and see if that helps... Try first running a single job with that 
> command line. It's a unix/linux only option and not an ini settable one
. 
> If it isn't supported / doesn't work, it should be immediately obvious 

> from one render.

If I launch "%povray --preview text pacman.ini" in command line I have :
"
povray: cannot open the user configuration file 
/Users/admin/.povray/3.7/povray.conf: No such file or directory

Problem with option setting
povray --preview text pacman.ini
Failed to parse command-line option
"
That doesn't work. Do you have an advice ?

Thanks,

Regards,

-- 
François LE COAT
<http://eureka.atari.org/>


Post a reply to this message

From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 29 Jan 2021 04:30:01
Message: <web.60138e02b3a558266396ca3e0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I don't have a solution to your finder problem but I thought a work around could
be to render your 2000 images as if it was an animation. Then you would launch
only one instance of Pov-ray (I think, not completely sure actually how it works
on Mac). Yet, I don't know if you could easily change your
script to render the appropriate image based on the clock variable...

Pascal



Francois LE COAT <lec### [at] atariorg> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use POV-Ray in command line under macOS Catalina and Macports,
> and run it about 2000 times, in order to render 2000 images. My
> issue is when you launch `povray` in command line, it opens a
> menu bar, and displays an icon in the macOS dock ...
>
> Is there a command line option, that prevents POV-Ray from displaying
> a menu bar and an icon in the dock ? Because when you launch it 2000
> times, for 2000 images, the Apple Finder and the Macintosh become
> unusable ... The computer keeps displaying the bar and the icon,
> and you can't do anything else with the Macintosh. You have to wait
> that the 2000 images are rendered ... You have to wait half an hour,
> so that POV-Ray stops rendering.
>
> There must be a solution. Because you can't do anything else, before
> POV-Ray has stopped rendering ... This is very painful ...
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> François LE COAT
> <http://eureka.atari.org/>


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 29 Jan 2021 09:22:13
Message: <6013d3c5$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/28/21 4:10 PM, Francois LE COAT wrote:
> Hi,
> 
...
> 
> If I launch "%povray --preview text pacman.ini" in command line I have :
> "
> povray: cannot open the user configuration file 
> /Users/admin/.povray/3.7/povray.conf: No such file or directory
> 
> Problem with option setting
> povray --preview text pacman.ini
> Failed to parse command-line option
> "
> That doesn't work. Do you have an advice ?
> 

Hi,
My last two ideas. First, the sort of advice jr gives me. Have you tried 
just:

povray --help

at a command line? I don't hold out much hope, but maybe it would kick 
out any extra command line flags that are supported. It's what the 
straight unix/linux compile does.

And second, an idea more complicated. With X11 at least there is a null 
display utility usually used for testing. I can't remember the name... 
Ah, it's xvfb. I've never used it myself only hearing someone else 
mention it long ago. Looks like it can be installed on Ubuntu 20.04, but 
no idea if you have anything similar on macOS?

Aside: I think that configuration file message is another issue and not 
critical.

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 29 Jan 2021 10:40:01
Message: <web.6013e576b3a5582679819d980@news.povray.org>
hi,

William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> ...
> My last two ideas. First, the sort of advice jr gives me. ...

</grin>  reminds me I meant to post re your comment (in another thread) that
'vim' has become your day-to-day editor.  first, if you want the '#for()' to
indent properly, add it to the list in line 63 of
'/usr/share/vim/vim81/indent/pov.vim'.  second, I recently "discovered" vim's
folding capabilities, great stuff, check it out (I added 'set foldmethod=marker'
in the '~/.vimrc', works equally well with Tcl.  :-))


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.