POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is Pov-ray development dead ? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 04:49:11 EDT (-0400)
  Is Pov-ray development dead ? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: PaulHuxe
Subject: Is Pov-ray development dead ?
Date: 28 Sep 2023 04:50:00
Message: <web.65153d54a008833ffa0a99ebd5f99eb2@news.povray.org>
Hi to all.

Today I wanted to reinstall POV-ray after several years of interruption.

I found the 3.8 beta version with your link to GITHUB, and saw that nothing has
moved since 2021.
There are only two people are linked to this project. And both of them have zero
activity the last year.

I searched for the 4.0 repository and saw that there are no new commit since
july 2021.

So my question : Is the project dead or does it have moved elsewhere else ?

I'm not C++ dev (only an amateur of C#...) so I cannot help on it.

Best regards.

Post a reply to this message

Le 28/09/2023 à 10:46, PaulHuxe a écrit :
> Hi to all.
>
> Today I wanted to reinstall POV-ray after several years of interruption.
>
> I found the 3.8 beta version with your link to GITHUB, and saw that nothing has
> moved since 2021.
> There are only two people are linked to this project. And both of them have zero
> activity the last year.
>
> I searched for the 4.0 repository and saw that there are no new commit since
> july 2021.
>
> So my question : Is the project dead or does it have moved elsewhere else ?
>
> I'm not C++ dev (only an amateur of C#...) so I cannot help on it.
>

> Best regards.

It's not dead, but some of us (me !) are getting old and busy with other
things to do.

As far as I am concerned, I made everything I wanted for development in
my own fork, and it is very calm.

I'm actually wanting ONE change, but I am unable to make it so far:
dropping all the UCS2 handling for only having UTF-8 everywhere.
My incentive is using font that are past the U+10000 page, as well as
handling non-ascii paths (Linux with French interface: the Modeles
directory is Modèles and it is not possible to put it as a search path,
because the "è" is not ascii and get mangled in UCS2 in non-recoverable
way (and the filesystem is just using utf-8 for its API, so UCS2 is an
approach from another time).

Oh, and if someone can find the bug in text handling with fonts which
have accents (à,é,è,ê,ô,ù;ï): sometime, the accent get just moved not at
the right horizontal place. Always the same issue for same char & font,
but not predictable.

I did not want to get power to update the official repository because I
believe on commite review of features and I would be too much tempted to
just smash all my changes: not wise.

I also got exhausted after providing a native support of Nurbs in SDL
(requested by some one, IIRC) only to find later that Blender is hard to
change to export native Nurbs instead of pre-meshed object.

Post a reply to this message