POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:11:15 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Installation thread (Message 52 to 61 of 61)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
Date: 28 May 2021 11:09:38
Message: <60b107b2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.05.2021 um 17:00 schrieb clipka:

> Beware that you're creating documentation for a moving target.
>
> If that repository of knowledge isn't kept up to date, it will become as
> useless as any other location where such information has accumulated
> over the years.

(Cases in point: (1) Traditionally, the boost libraries have been the
source of a lot of installation issues. Any such issues relating to the
boost thread library are no longer a concern with the latest development
versions, as we've ditched that particular portion of boost for good.
Future versions may eliminate more boost libraries. (2) Some of the
latest experimental versions require the FreeType library, and I expect
that requirement to propagate into POV-Ray v3.8 proper.)

Post a reply to this message

> > Beware that you're creating documentation for a moving target.
> >
> > If that repository of knowledge isn't kept up to date, it will become as
> > useless as any other location where such information has accumulated
> > over the years.
>
> (Cases in point: (1) Traditionally, the boost libraries have been the
> source of a lot of installation issues. Any such issues relating to the
> boost thread library are no longer a concern with the latest development
> versions, as we've ditched that particular portion of boost for good.
> Future versions may eliminate more boost libraries. (2) Some of the
> latest experimental versions require the FreeType library, and I expect
> that requirement to propagate into POV-Ray v3.8 proper.)

Hello and thank you for these in-depth views. I added a disclaimer at the top of
the mentioned wiki page pointing to the source md files.

About boost dependencies, there seems to be some outdated library shipped with
Hgpovray38 source. (meaning not corresponding to the one used by the code)

Post a reply to this message