POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : splash window v3.7 64 bit Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:31:05 EDT (-0400)
  splash window v3.7 64 bit (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Hexhall
Subject: splash window v3.7 64 bit
Date: 24 Jan 2021 14:25:06
Message: <web.600dc8b442e6838647ce6450@news.povray.org>
I just installed pov-ray 3.6.1 (to get megapov working) and noticed something
odd afterwards when I started pov-ray 3.7.0 for an unrelated project -- the
splash window did not appear, it went straight to showing the normal program
window.  Everything seems to work just fine, renders are normal, just no splash
window on startup.  Any ideas on what may have happened?  Any ideas on how to
set things back to the way they were?  (by the way, 3.6.1 is the 32 bit version,
3.7.0 is 64 bit).  Any info will be appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

> I just installed pov-ray 3.6.1 (to get megapov working) and noticed something
> odd afterwards when I started pov-ray 3.7.0 for an unrelated project -- the
> splash window did not appear, it went straight to showing the normal program
> window.  Everything seems to work just fine, renders are normal, just no splash
> window on startup.  Any ideas on what may have happened?  Any ideas on how to
> set things back to the way they were?  (by the way, 3.6.1 is the 32 bit version,
> 3.7.0 is 64 bit).  Any info will be appreciated.

hello, I may be wrong, but I believe it's a feature to not bother user with
splash screen once it has been "ok checked" away for a certain period of time
(how much?)... Maybe check again after you finished all you current renders,
closed all your current sessions for more than a day and reopen POV ?

Post a reply to this message

> > I just installed pov-ray 3.6.1 (to get megapov working) and noticed something
> > odd afterwards when I started pov-ray 3.7.0 for an unrelated project -- the
> > splash window did not appear, it went straight to showing the normal program
> > window.  Everything seems to work just fine, renders are normal, just no splash
> > window on startup.  Any ideas on what may have happened?  Any ideas on how to
> > set things back to the way they were?  (by the way, 3.6.1 is the 32 bit version,
> > 3.7.0 is 64 bit).  Any info will be appreciated.
>
> hello, I may be wrong, but I believe it's a feature to not bother user with
> splash screen once it has been "ok checked" away for a certain period of time
> (how much?)... Maybe check again after you finished all you current renders,
> closed all your current sessions for more than a day and reopen POV ?

Tried that, did not work.  Also, I have 3.8 and Uberpov with the 3.7, and they
don't show the splash window either.  At least they are all stil functional.

Post a reply to this message

>> hello, I may be wrong, but I believe it's a feature to not bother user with
>> splash screen once it has been "ok checked" away for a certain period of time
>> (how much?)... Maybe check again after you finished all you current renders,
>> closed all your current sessions for more than a day and reopen POV ?
>
> Tried that, did not work.  Also, I have 3.8 and Uberpov with the 3.7, and they
> don't show the splash window either.  At least they are all stil functional.

You can spawn the splash screen by clicking Help > About. At least, in
my instance of 3.8.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

>>> I just installed pov-ray 3.6.1 (to get megapov working) and noticed something
>>> odd afterwards when I started pov-ray 3.7.0 for an unrelated project -- the
>>> splash window did not appear, it went straight to showing the normal program
>>> window.  Everything seems to work just fine, renders are normal, just no splash
>>> window on startup.  Any ideas on what may have happened?  Any ideas on how to
>>> set things back to the way they were?  (by the way, 3.6.1 is the 32 bit version,
>>> 3.7.0 is 64 bit).  Any info will be appreciated.
>>
>> hello, I may be wrong, but I believe it's a feature to not bother user with
>> splash screen once it has been "ok checked" away for a certain period of time
>> (how much?)... Maybe check again after you finished all you current renders,
>> closed all your current sessions for more than a day and reopen POV ?
>
> Tried that, did not work.  Also, I have 3.8 and Uberpov with the 3.7, and they
> don't show the splash window either.  At least they are all stil functional.

I should not be concerned about the splash screen. I almost never see it
when I open either version of POV-Ray (3.7 or 3.8). It only shows once
in a while for no obvious reason, and that for many years too numerous
to remember.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Le 2021-01-24 à 14:21, Hexhall a écrit :
> I just installed pov-ray 3.6.1 (to get megapov working) and noticed something
> odd afterwards when I started pov-ray 3.7.0 for an unrelated project -- the
> splash window did not appear, it went straight to showing the normal program
> window.  Everything seems to work just fine, renders are normal, just no splash
> window on startup.  Any ideas on what may have happened?  Any ideas on how to
> set things back to the way they were?  (by the way, 3.6.1 is the 32 bit version,
> 3.7.0 is 64 bit).  Any info will be appreciated.

In my case, the splash screen seldom show up. Even back when I still
used version 3.6.x, it only showed up less that one start in ten. That
did not change with 3.7.

Post a reply to this message

Okay, I'll stop worrying about it, thanks for the responses...oh and the splash
window has shown up (once) since my last post...