POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to create steam with lines rather than a fume? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:07:56 EDT (-0400)
  How to create steam with lines rather than a fume? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Kima
Subject: How to create steam with lines rather than a fume?
Date: 17 Feb 2020 13:15:00
Message: <web.5e4ad73db93d4a17ecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
As I explored, the technique (if not the only) technique for building
smoke/steam/vapor is to apply media effect to a sphere. This creates a
cloud-like fume.

However, for example, the steam of coffee is made of distinguishable steam lines
in a light fog. See
https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/496/851/672/cup-coffee-steam-hot-wallpaper-preview.jpg

With the above-mentioned technique, we can only create something like
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZDbJCsTGYoA/hqdefault.jpg

Should I look for another approach or the media effects can create realistic
steam?

Post a reply to this message

> Should I look for another approach or the media effects can create realistic
> steam?

I would  start by looking at patterns such as marble, with the turbulence
modifier.

Define a color map with clear and white, and see what that looks like.

Then you can define a function using the marble pigment pattern, and use that to
define the density in your media.

Post a reply to this message

> As I explored, the technique (if not the only) technique for building
> smoke/steam/vapor is to apply media effect to a sphere. This creates a
> cloud-like fume.
>
> However, for example, the steam of coffee is made of distinguishable steam lines
> in a light fog. See

https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/496/851/672/cup-coffee-steam-hot-wallpaper-preview.jpg

> With the above-mentioned technique, we can only create something like
> https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZDbJCsTGYoA/hqdefault.jpg
>
> Should I look for another approach or the media effects can create realistic
> steam?

Instead of using a sphere as your container, you can use a cylinder and
use a cylindrical pattern in place of the spherical one.

Next, apply some uneven turbulence within a wrap{} container.
You can then apply some uneven scaling, maybe use black_hole elements.

Post a reply to this message