POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to create steam with lines rather than a fume? Server Time: 30 Mar 2020 13:51:16 GMT
  How to create steam with lines rather than a fume? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)  
From: Kima
Subject: How to create steam with lines rather than a fume?
Date: 17 Feb 2020 18:15:00
Message: <web.5e4ad73db93d4a17ecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
As I explored, the technique (if not the only) technique for building
smoke/steam/vapor is to apply media effect to a sphere. This creates a
cloud-like fume.

However, for example, the steam of coffee is made of distinguishable steam lines
in a light fog. See
https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/496/851/672/cup-coffee-steam-hot-wallpaper-preview.jpg

With the above-mentioned technique, we can only create something like
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZDbJCsTGYoA/hqdefault.jpg

Should I look for another approach or the media effects can create realistic
steam?


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: How to create steam with lines rather than a fume?
Date: 17 Feb 2020 19:15:01
Message: <web.5e4ae5ac7492bc3f4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"Kima" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Should I look for another approach or the media effects can create realistic
> steam?

I would  start by looking at patterns such as marble, with the turbulence
modifier.

Define a color map with clear and white, and see what that looks like.

Then you can define a function using the marble pigment pattern, and use that to
define the density in your media.


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: How to create steam with lines rather than a fume?
Date: 17 Feb 2020 21:08:02
Message: <5e4b00b2$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-02-17 à 13:11, Kima a écrit :
> As I explored, the technique (if not the only) technique for building
> smoke/steam/vapor is to apply media effect to a sphere. This creates a
> cloud-like fume.
> 
> However, for example, the steam of coffee is made of distinguishable steam lines
> in a light fog. See
>
https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/496/851/672/cup-coffee-steam-hot-wallpaper-preview.jpg
> 
> With the above-mentioned technique, we can only create something like
> https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZDbJCsTGYoA/hqdefault.jpg
> 
> Should I look for another approach or the media effects can create realistic
> steam?
> 
> 

Instead of using a sphere as your container, you can use a cylinder and 
use a cylindrical pattern in place of the spherical one.

Next, apply some uneven turbulence within a wrap{} container.
You can then apply some uneven scaling, maybe use black_hole elements.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: How to create steam with lines rather than a fume?
Date: 18 Feb 2020 07:40:15
Message: <5e4b94df$1@news.povray.org>
Op 17/02/2020 om 19:11 schreef Kima:
> As I explored, the technique (if not the only) technique for building
> smoke/steam/vapor is to apply media effect to a sphere. This creates a
> cloud-like fume.
> 
> However, for example, the steam of coffee is made of distinguishable steam lines
> in a light fog. See
>
https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/496/851/672/cup-coffee-steam-hot-wallpaper-preview.jpg
> 
> With the above-mentioned technique, we can only create something like
> https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZDbJCsTGYoA/hqdefault.jpg
> 
> Should I look for another approach or the media effects can create realistic
> steam?
> 
> 

All the other comments of course; in addition, you might be interested 
by SmokeGen, a smoke generator created by Mikael Carneholme in a very 
distant past. So distant, that his site is no longer available 
unfortunately. However, if you want it (just yell), I can provide a zip 
with all the needed files. Use them at your own discretion but please 
mention the original author when you do.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Kima
Subject: Re: How to create steam with lines rather than a fume?
Date: 18 Feb 2020 08:05:01
Message: <web.5e4b9a617492bc3fecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 17/02/2020 om 19:11 schreef Kima:
> > As I explored, the technique (if not the only) technique for building
> > smoke/steam/vapor is to apply media effect to a sphere. This creates a
> > cloud-like fume.
> >
> > However, for example, the steam of coffee is made of distinguishable steam lines
> > in a light fog. See
> >
https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/496/851/672/cup-coffee-steam-hot-wallpaper-preview.jpg
> >
> > With the above-mentioned technique, we can only create something like
> > https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZDbJCsTGYoA/hqdefault.jpg
> >
> > Should I look for another approach or the media effects can create realistic
> > steam?
> >
> >
>
> All the other comments of course; in addition, you might be interested
> by SmokeGen, a smoke generator created by Mikael Carneholme in a very
> distant past. So distant, that his site is no longer available
> unfortunately. However, if you want it (just yell), I can provide a zip
> with all the needed files. Use them at your own discretion but please
> mention the original author when you do.
>
> --
> Thomas

I strongly appreciate if you can share the files, Thomas.

It might be outdated but definitely can give me some clues following the tricks
employed for generating smoke.

Thank you again.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: How to create steam with lines rather than a fume?
Date: 19 Feb 2020 07:31:36
Message: <5e4ce458@news.povray.org>
Op 18/02/2020 om 09:03 schreef Kima:
> I strongly appreciate if you can share the files, Thomas.
> 
> It might be outdated but definitely can give me some clues following the tricks
> employed for generating smoke.
> 
> Thank you again.
> 
> 

Here we go (see attachment)

The file to use inside PovRay is SmokeGen.inc. The Docs are very 
comprehensive.

Have fun!

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'smokegen.7z.zip' (1715 KB)

From: Kima
Subject: Re: How to create steam with lines rather than a fume?
Date: 19 Feb 2020 22:45:01
Message: <web.5e4dba1f7492bc3fecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 18/02/2020 om 09:03 schreef Kima:
> > I strongly appreciate if you can share the files, Thomas.
> >
> > It might be outdated but definitely can give me some clues following the tricks
> > employed for generating smoke.
> >
> > Thank you again.
> >
> >
>
> Here we go (see attachment)
>
> The file to use inside PovRay is SmokeGen.inc. The Docs are very
> comprehensive.
>
> Have fun!
>
> --
> Thomas

WOW, it is absolutely marvellous. What a shame that it is not available online.

Anyhow, it made me wonder what hidden treatures can be found in your archive ;)


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: How to create steam with lines rather than a fume?
Date: 20 Feb 2020 07:36:18
Message: <5e4e36f2$1@news.povray.org>
Op 19/02/2020 om 23:43 schreef Kima:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> Op 18/02/2020 om 09:03 schreef Kima:
>>> I strongly appreciate if you can share the files, Thomas.
>>>
>>> It might be outdated but definitely can give me some clues following the tricks
>>> employed for generating smoke.
>>>
>>> Thank you again.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Here we go (see attachment)
>>
>> The file to use inside PovRay is SmokeGen.inc. The Docs are very
>> comprehensive.
>>
>> Have fun!
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
> 
> WOW, it is absolutely marvellous. What a shame that it is not available online.
> 
> Anyhow, it made me wonder what hidden treatures can be found in your archive ;)
> 
> 

Too many! ;-) In his days, "Uncle Tyler's Get Away" was the Place to be 
(https://web.archive.org/web/20080514063612/http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html).

I am not as systematic as he was but over the years I collected a list 
of about 240 POV-Ray users, each represented by at least one utility or 
other which interested me somehow.

[looking furtively around] I know that there other collectors lurking in 
the shadows...

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.