POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POV-Ray's gamma-adjustment info need updating? Server Time
8 May 2024 20:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Does POV-Ray's gamma-adjustment info need updating? (Message 5 to 14 of 24)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Does POV-Ray's gamma-adjustment info need updating?
Date: 16 Oct 2017 15:25:01
Message: <web.59e5066642a9f98689df8d30@news.povray.org>

> If you use a non-native display resolution, then this can indeed happen,
> due to the non-linear blending by the monitor.

Ah, so it seems that the only way to avoid these 'blending' problems is to leave
the monitor at its native resolution. I understand now. Thanks.

It's worth mentioning that I never saw these kinds of problems on my old CRT
monitors, when adjusting gamma in POV-Ray. (Or, if present, it was subtle, or
else I never noticed.) I'm *guessing* that the reason has to do with the
arrangement of a CRT's red/green/blue phosphors (and its 'shadow mask'),
compared to a modern LCD/LED monitor. If I'm not mistaken, a CRT has something
like a triangular(?) arrangement of phosphors (depending on the brand), whereas
modern monitors have pixels in a strict linear X/Y configuration. I'm thinking
that the gamma chart's thin horizontal lines have a better chance of being
'faithfully' reproduced on a CRT (well, in some sense.) Or so my mind's eye
tells me ;-)

> In POV-Ray's anti-aliasing, this is already taken into account:
> Anti-aliasing nowadays works in linear colour space...

Excellent! That's a subtle bit of re-work magic that most of us would never have
thought of. (OK, maybe just me!)

Post a reply to this message

>> If you use a non-native display resolution, then this can indeed happen,
>> due to the non-linear blending by the monitor.
>
> Ah, so it seems that the only way to avoid these 'blending' problems is to leave
> the monitor at its native resolution. I understand now. Thanks.
>
> It's worth mentioning that I never saw these kinds of problems on my old CRT
> monitors, when adjusting gamma in POV-Ray. (Or, if present, it was subtle, or
> else I never noticed.) I'm *guessing* that the reason has to do with the
> arrangement of a CRT's red/green/blue phosphors (and its 'shadow mask'),
> compared to a modern LCD/LED monitor. If I'm not mistaken, a CRT has something
> like a triangular(?) arrangement of phosphors (depending on the brand), whereas
> modern monitors have pixels in a strict linear X/Y configuration. I'm thinking
> that the gamma chart's thin horizontal lines have a better chance of being
> 'faithfully' reproduced on a CRT (well, in some sense.) Or so my mind's eye
> tells me ;-)
>>
>> In POV-Ray's anti-aliasing, this is already taken into account:
>> Anti-aliasing nowadays works in linear colour space...
>
> Excellent! That's a subtle bit of re-work magic that most of us would never have
> thought of. (OK, maybe just me!)

On a CTR monitor, each pixel is spread over several groups of phosphore
patches. Also, the edges of the pixels are somewhat fuzzy, making them
blend toggether, at least, a little.
There are two way the phosphore patches are aranged : Triangular array
of circular spots (apperture mask), and groups of rectangular "spots"
ranged side by side (whire mesh).

The charts need to be displayed at one image pixel = one screen pixel.
If not, you always get some interpolation that will ruin the test.

When using an LCD monitor, it's always beter to use it's native
resolution, or an integer fraction of that.
In your case, that would be 1920 X 1280, 960 x 640, 640 x 427,...
ANY other resolution will require the use of interpolation.

If that makes things to small, then, you can adjust the PPI setting of
your display, or use larger fonts.

Post a reply to this message

> Ah, so it seems that the only way to avoid these 'blending' problems is to leave
> the monitor at its native resolution. I understand now. Thanks.
>
> It's worth mentioning that I never saw these kinds of problems on my old CRT
> monitors, when adjusting gamma in POV-Ray. (Or, if present, it was subtle, or
> else I never noticed.) I'm *guessing* that the reason has to do with the
> arrangement of a CRT's red/green/blue phosphors (and its 'shadow mask'),
> compared to a modern LCD/LED monitor. If I'm not mistaken, a CRT has something
> like a triangular(?) arrangement of phosphors (depending on the brand), whereas
> modern monitors have pixels in a strict linear X/Y configuration. I'm thinking
> that the gamma chart's thin horizontal lines have a better chance of being
> 'faithfully' reproduced on a CRT (well, in some sense.) Or so my mind's eye
> tells me ;-)

It's not related to the arrangement of "display pixels"; with CRTs, both
the standard triangular grid as well as Sony's "trinitron" side-by-side
arrangement were fine with respect to blending.

Which is good, because controlling the cathode ray to such a precision
that it would exactly line up with the grid would be unreasonably difficult.

As a matter of fact, in a CRT there is a lot of blending going on,
because the dot projected by the cathode ray is necessarily a bit fuzzy,
and doesn't hit the grid openings precisely.

But this blending occurs on a number-of-electrons basis, to which the
physical brightness of the phosphors is (almost, I guess) directly
proportional, so it's linear.

(Vertical lines would be a different matter on a CRT, because they
demand quick modulation of the cathode ray intensity, which may
introduce additional non-linear distortions. That's why gamma test
images favour horizontal lines over vertical ones or a checkerboard
pattern.)

Post a reply to this message