POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray features Server Time
30 Apr 2024 20:58:14 EDT (-0400)
  Povray features (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Povray features
Date: 14 Sep 2016 14:32:36
Message: <57d997c4@news.povray.org>

> Hello there. My name is Ivano Arrighetta and I'm Italian.
> I would like to know more about povray used with FFMPEG and imagemagick
> and in detail:
>
> 1) Can it capture images from scanner and/or webcam?
As Clipca said, was possible but have been removed.
It can use an image from a scanner of a still captured from a webcam and
saved as an image file. That image can be used as an image_map.
> 2) Can it do OCR?
NO.
> 3) Can a 2D surface be extruded?
Yes as a prism. You need to enter the coordinates of the control points
and set the height. Also, an image can be used in a height field object
where the brightness controls the height of the surface.
> 4) Can a raster image be used as a sound? (maybe like a spectrum or so)
No.
> 5) Can it do vector animations?
Not directly. If you have the vector shape definition, it may be
possible to use it to create a polygon object, have no thickness and
only straight edges, or a prism of any thickness and may have smoothly
curving edges.
> 6) Can it generate 3D geometry?
Yes as any of the supported primitives, one of witch is the mesh. If you
want to export those, you'll probably need to convert into a mesh. This
is NOT obvious nor easy as POV-Ray never work internally with mesh
except for the mesh primitive.
> 7) Can it add 3D modifyers? (like twist, tape, bend, etc)
Not easily. You need to define your shape as a function, or combination
of functions, and perform the distortion in an isosurface.
> 8) Can it synthesize audio?
No. POV-Ray have no concept of sounds at all outside of the sounds
signals it may play on completion of a render or to signal an error.
> 9) Can it capture audio from a microphone?
No. See point 8.
> 10) Can it convert an audio stream to a raster image?
No. See point 8.
> 11) Can it capture a video from webcam or the desktop?
No. This a repeat of point 1.
> 12) Can a video be used as a texture for a 3D surface?
Not directly. Same as point 11.

> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Bye, Ivano.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Sep 2016 14:47:40
Message: <57d99b4c$3@news.povray.org>
On 9/14/2016 6:24 PM, Berserk wrote:
> tth <tth### [at] noneinvalid> wrote:
>> On 09/14/2016 03:07 PM, Berserk wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry for too much posting.
>>> The only unanswered question remaining is:
>>> 1) Can a video be used as a texture for a 3D surface?
>>
>>      Somethink like that ?
>>             http://la.buvette.org/vrac/composite.avi
>
> Yes, exactly

Yes PovRay can do that. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Berserk
Date: 14 Sep 2016 15:40:00
Message: <web.57d9a6fbaa83bb04f7739dda0@news.povray.org>
Hello everyone.
I mantain a list of questions with answers on my website, at:
http://bisentertainment.altervista.org/great-project.html

Please, visit it.

Bye, Ivano.

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Date: 15 Sep 2016 01:58:51
Message: <57da389b$1@news.povray.org>
With some tricks Csound can be controlled from the SDL. At least it has
been done in the past. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dsRyZGt_co

To generate sound from rasterimage, look into Virtual Ans

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: tth
Date: 15 Sep 2016 07:43:03
Message: <57da8947$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/14/2016 06:07 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> tth <tth### [at] noneinvalid> wrote:
>
>>     Somethink like that ?
>>            http://la.buvette.org/vrac/composite.avi
>
> That is wicked cool.
> A very nice effect that probably took a lot of work to get to work, and likely a
> lot of rendering and post-processing time to make into the full animation.

    No postprocessing (except the green text made with mogrify) but some
    programming (I'm an unixman :) for driving povray.

    This job was made of a number of sequence from the same univers,
    with various angle of view.

    1) I have a text file with the name of sequence and the number of
       frames in that sequence who is transcoded in pov-csv file :

credits		aac	200
descente	desc	250
eglise		egl	300
       reponses.data -> awk -> reponses.text
"credits",           "aac_",   200.0,
"descente",          "desc",   250.0,
"eglise",            "egl_",   300.0,

    2) Drived by the first file, a Perl script make all the picz of
       all the sequences, so I get a bunche of .png with names like
img/desc0000.png
img/desc0001.png
img/desc0002.png

    3) In the file composite.pov, I get the frame number with the
       clock variable, and I load the picz of others seqs with POV
       code like that :
#fopen reponses "reponses.text" read
#while (defined(reponses))
	#read (reponses, anim, v1, v2)
	#declare foo = strcmp(modele, anim);
	#if (foo = 0.0)
		#declare ltr = v1;
		#declare nbr = v2;
	#end
#end
#fclose reponses
                      [...]
#declare idx = int(mod(clock, nbr));
#declare sidx = str(idx, -4, 0);
#declare nompng = concat("img/", ltr, sidx, ".png");

    4) And I can use the pre-computed frame as an image_map
       with a macro like that :

#macro Ecran(image)
box { <-4, 0.07, -3>, <4, -0.07, 3> }
pigment	{