POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : installing 'experimental builds' of POV-Ray-- question Server Time
1 May 2024 03:38:23 EDT (-0400)
  installing 'experimental builds' of POV-Ray-- question (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Kenneth
Subject: installing 'experimental builds' of POV-Ray-- question
Date: 15 Jan 2016 17:30:01
Message: <web.569971ed85ba3b8133c457550@news.povray.org>
I just downloaded the latest 'experimental build' of POV-Ray, from here (for my
Windows computer)...

https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-alpha.8431463%2Bav74

I want to make sure that I'm installing it correctly (I downloaded the sse2
version):

It was originally compressed using the '7z' method, so I uncompressed it using
the 7zip app. The only item found in the new folder is the POV-Ray 'engine'
file...  pvengine32-sse2

I understand that it needs to (temporarily) replace v3.7's already-installed
engine file-- which is here (on my machine)... "C:\Program
Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\pvengine32-sse2.exe"

So I moved the *original* pvengine32-sse2 file into a dummy temporary folder
there first (to hide it), then placed the new engine file in the 'bin' folder.

This seems to work OK, but is there any 'hidden detail' that I've neglected to
do? I just want to make sure that I've done the install correctly. Comments?

Post a reply to this message

> I just downloaded the latest 'experimental build' of POV-Ray, from here (for my
> Windows computer)...
>
> https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-alpha.8431463%2Bav74
>
> I want to make sure that I'm installing it correctly (I downloaded the sse2
> version):
>
> It was originally compressed using the '7z' method, so I uncompressed it using
> the 7zip app. The only item found in the new folder is the POV-Ray 'engine'
> file...  pvengine32-sse2
>
> I understand that it needs to (temporarily) replace v3.7's already-installed
> engine file-- which is here (on my machine)... "C:\Program
> Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\pvengine32-sse2.exe"
>
> So I moved the *original* pvengine32-sse2 file into a dummy temporary folder
> there first (to hide it), then placed the new engine file in the 'bin' folder.
>
> This seems to work OK, but is there any 'hidden detail' that I've neglected to
> do? I just want to make sure that I've done the install correctly. Comments?

You've done it precisely the way it's supposed to be done (except that
the official recommendation would be to rename the original .exe, but
moving it to a different directory serves the exact same purpose just as
well).

Post a reply to this message