POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height field box Server Time
19 May 2024 09:58:33 EDT (-0400)
  Height field box (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: StavroMueller
Subject: Height field box
Date: 28 Jul 2015 07:40:01
Message: <web.55b769dbc3914df6858f08a30@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to render some data using the height field technique, which is
working great.  However, I would really like to be able to remove the box sides
of the height field, so I just see the surface.  The issue is that the box sides
are colored with the color gradient, which is very messy looking.  Also, I want
to plot some of this surface with semitransparency based on height - which works
well, but then you can see the sides of the box through the semitransparent
part, which ruins the effect I was after.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to render some data using the height field technique, which is
> working great.  However, I would really like to be able to remove the box sides
> of the height field, so I just see the surface.  The issue is that the box sides
> are colored with the color gradient, which is very messy looking.  Also, I want
> to plot some of this surface with semitransparency based on height - which works
> well, but then you can see the sides of the box through the semitransparent
> part, which ruins the effect I was after.
>
> Any ideas gratefully received.

You can convert height fields into meshes which represent the surface only.
Shapes.inc has some interesting macros to achieve this (HF_Square is the one you
can use, most likely). I propose to play around with that.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

On 28.07.2015 13:39, StavroMueller wrote:

> Any ideas gratefully received.

Try subtracting a second instance of the HF using difference,
(scaled wider and moved downward by a tiny value). Alternatively,
intersect with a box that is slightly smaller than the HF, this
should allow you to assign a separate texture to the sides.

Post a reply to this message

Am 28.07.2015 um 13:39 schrieb StavroMueller:
> I'm trying to render some data using the height field technique, which is
> working great.  However, I would really like to be able to remove the box sides
> of the height field, so I just see the surface.  The issue is that the box sides
> are colored with the color gradient, which is very messy looking.  Also, I want
> to plot some of this surface with semitransparency based on height - which works
> well, but then you can see the sides of the box through the semitransparent
> part, which ruins the effect I was after.
>
> Any ideas gratefully received.

clipped_by with a slightly smaller box should be perfect for the job.