POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can Pov-Ray illustrate the blue dress principle Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Can Pov-Ray illustrate the blue dress principle (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Can Pov-Ray illustrate the blue dress principle
Date: 28 Feb 2015 12:10:50
Message: <54f1f69a$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/02/2015 15:56, James Holsenback wrote:
> then i should have replied to the OP inquiry about blue dress instead

Forgiven. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 28 Feb 2015 13:36:15
Message: <54f20a9f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.02.2015 um 15:54 schrieb MichaelJF:

> But this would only explain one part of the black-blue vs. White-Gold riddle.

I think the enigma is easily explained as a combination of multiple effects.

First, the facts:

(1) One very obvious technical flaw of the image is that the background
is hopelessly overexposed.

(2) The image has another (related?) technical flaw, in that there is a
yellowish overlay across the entire image; this might be due to
overexposure, stray light from a poor or dirty lens, an uncalibrated
camera, some automatic whitepoint adjustment gone rogue, or a
combination thereof. At any rate, it results in a significant shift in
brightnss and colour contrast, and also some shift in hue, of the dress;
thus, instead of pitch black and royal blue we all physically see a kind
of brownish grey and pastel blue.

(3) Most viewers' displays and/or viewing environments are probably not
calibrated, adding a multitude of other brightness, contrast and colour
distortions, which differ between viewers.

Now, it all boils down to how individual people's brains make sense of
the image, which is a result of the above different visual input
combined with different viewer expectations. There are essentially three

(A) The brain correctly identifies the flaws of the original image,
auto-correcting the colours of the dress back to the original royal blue
& black.

(B) The brain takes the overexposured background as an indication that
the image was taken against the light source, expecting the dress to be
underexposed, and thus performing some auto-"correction" that in fact
just enhances the effect to the point where the dress is seen as white &
gold.

(C) The brain takes the colours of the dress at face value (to some
degree, that is), seeing neither the original royal blue & deep black
nor the reported white & gold, but a pastel blue & slightly brownish
dark grey. (This is actually what my brain seems to be doing, at least
when viewing the image on my super-duper calibrated display.)

Post a reply to this message