POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is POV-Ray still under development? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:38:01 EDT (-0400)
  Is POV-Ray still under development? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: IceflakeCS
Subject: Is POV-Ray still under development?
Date: 28 Dec 2014 12:35:01
Message: <web.54a03ed52fbd29a5af775210@news.povray.org>
As the subject implies, is POV-Ray still under development?
And if so, when can we see an update?

I have tried to find this information in newsgroup, as well as searching the
internet, but I haven't found anything of value.

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply to this message

> As the subject implies, is POV-Ray still under development?
> And if so, when can we see an update?
>
> I have tried to find this information in newsgroup, as well as searching the
> internet, but I haven't found anything of value.

We're not very active on the update front at the moment. I'll probably
be issuing a minor update to the Windows build in early January though.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> > As the subject implies, is POV-Ray still under development?
> > And if so, when can we see an update?
> >
> > I have tried to find this information in newsgroup, as well as searching the
> > internet, but I haven't found anything of value.
>
> We're not very active on the update front at the moment. I'll probably
> be issuing a minor update to the Windows build in early January though.
>
> -- Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm happy to hear the development is not completely left aside :)
Even though I have not experienced any problems with v3.7 I'm looking forward to
the update.

// Lennie

Post a reply to this message

Am 28.12.2014 um 18:48 schrieb IceflakeCS:
> Chris Cason <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:
>> On 29/12/2014 04:33, IceflakeCS wrote:
>>> As the subject implies, is POV-Ray still under development?
>>> And if so, when can we see an update?
>>>
>>> I have tried to find this information in newsgroup, as well as searching the
>>> internet, but I haven't found anything of value.
>>
>> We're not very active on the update front at the moment. I'll probably
>> be issuing a minor update to the Windows build in early January though.
>>
>> -- Chris
>
> Thanks Chris. I'm happy to hear the development is not completely left aside :)
> Even though I have not experienced any problems with v3.7 I'm looking forward to
> the update.

I've spent much of my spare time beta-testing Elite:Dangerous during the
last couple of months. But over the holidays I've shifted gears now, and
expect to resume work on both POV-Ray proper and UberPOV in a couple of
days.

Post a reply to this message

> As the subject implies, is POV-Ray still under development?
> And if so, when can we see an update?
>
> I have tried to find this information in newsgroup, as well as searching the
> internet, but I haven't found anything of value.
>
> Thanks in advance.

You should check out Uberpov, especially its stochastic rendering option.
Finally unbiased!

Post a reply to this message

> > As the subject implies, is POV-Ray still under development?
> > And if so, when can we see an update?
> >
> > I have tried to find this information in newsgroup, as well as searching the
> > internet, but I haven't found anything of value.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> You should check out Uberpov, especially its stochastic rendering option.
> Finally unbiased!

Any idea whether Clipka's Ghosting feature is to be included in the next
version?
I don't mean stochastic, just ghosting, and eventually what about blurry
reflexion?

Post a reply to this message

>>> As the subject implies, is POV-Ray still under development?
>>> And if so, when can we see an update?
>>>
>>> I have tried to find this information in newsgroup, as well as searching the
>>> internet, but I haven't found anything of value.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> You should check out Uberpov, especially its stochastic rendering option.
>> Finally unbiased!
>
> Any idea whether Clipka's Ghosting feature is to be included in the next
> version?
> I don't mean stochastic, just ghosting, and eventually what about blurry
> reflexion?

Those are still experimental features included in UberPov. When they are
ready for inclussion, they'll probably find their way in some version 7.x.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> >> You should check out Uberpov, especially its stochastic rendering option.
> >> Finally unbiased!
> >
> > Any idea whether Clipka's Ghosting feature is to be included in the next
> > version?
> > I don't mean stochastic, just ghosting, and eventually what about blurry
> > reflexion?
> >

> Those are still experimental features included in UberPov. When they are
> ready for inclussion, they'll probably find their way in some version 7.x.
>

> Alain

This would be dreadful. Your words have the effect of thunder on my 3D projects.
I realise I might have been way too optimistic about POV development.
:-/

Post a reply to this message

>>> As the subject implies, is POV-Ray still under development?
>>> And if so, when can we see an update?
>>>
>>> I have tried to find this information in newsgroup, as well as searching the
>>> internet, but I haven't found anything of value.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> You should check out Uberpov, especially its stochastic rendering option.
>> Finally unbiased!
>
> Any idea whether Clipka's Ghosting feature is to be included in the next
> version?
> I don't mean stochastic, just ghosting, and eventually what about blurry
> reflexion?

Both features rely on stochastic rendering mechanisms.

Post a reply to this message

> >> You should check out Uberpov, especially its stochastic rendering option.
> >> Finally unbiased!
> >
> > Any idea whether Clipka's Ghosting feature is to be included in the next
> > version?
> > I don't mean stochastic, just ghosting, and eventually what about blurry
> > reflexion?
>
> Both features rely on stochastic rendering mechanisms.

Ok, I thought the blink feature did not...
This pushed me to make my first try at UberPOV and directing the exporter to use
it. Everything went smoothly, instructions added in the exporter's wiki:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray#Rendering_with_UberPOV

I must say I am not a big fan of QMC/stochastic rendering, since its grainy
shadows is what first made me choose POV-Ray over all the other open source
renderers available that all used it then. this choice was at the expense of
sampled features like blurry reflections, but allowed absolutely noise free
images in a (quite) relatively short time. I was hoping that the "blurry
features" would be provided differently in POV than in these other noise makers.
But I surrender, thanks to all the other features of POV-Ray, making this choice
acceptable for completing the feature set of this wonderful renderer and making
it almost production ready. :) Thank you.