POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Optical cloaking Server Time
1 Jun 2024 13:38:35 EDT (-0400)
  Optical cloaking (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Optical cloaking
Date: 1 Oct 2014 01:25:00
Message: <web.542b8fbb7b612d485e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Maybe someone with free time could look into this and model it.
That would be cool.  :)

http://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/watch-rochester-cloak-uses-ordinary-lenses-to-hide-objects-across-continuous-range-
of-angles-70592/

Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Subject: Re: Optical cloaking
Date: 9 Oct 2014 03:00:01
Message: <web.543631939d3a84f4211620b20@news.povray.org>
> Maybe someone with free time could look into this and model it.
 Sure thing, free time used up now!  :) Just a hack but I think it's basically
what they're doing if I understood it right. Objects avoiding the narrow
refracted area are not seen. No idea how each lens is shaped but this scene file
seems to do the trick, aside from edge distortion which could possibly be
reduced or eliminated by either increasing lens size within rings or thickening
the rings.

// BEGIN SCENE
/* imitating cloaking lenses, BGH 2014.77 */

/* NOTE: use first command line when PhotonsMedia=yes for faster render */

//cmd: +w160 +h120

//cmd: +w512 +h384 +a

#version 3.7;

#local PhotonsMedia=no; // side view with light beams?

#local Overview=no; // a look from above front?

global_settings
{
 assumed_gamma 1
 max_trace_level 11
#if (PhotonsMedia=yes)
  photons {
    //count 333333
    spacing 0.3
    media 333, 1
    autostop 0
    jitter 0.3
  }
#else #end
}

#if (PhotonsMedia=no)
light_source
{
 -99*z,1
 rotate <45,45,0>
 media_interaction off
 photons
 {
  reflection off
  refraction off
 }
}
#else #end

#if (PhotonsMedia=yes)
light_source
{
 -33*z,3
 parallel
 spotlight
 radius 0.1
 falloff 0.13
 point_at 0
 media_interaction on
 photons
 {
  reflection off
  refraction on
 }
}
#else #end

// view
camera
{
#if (PhotonsMedia=yes)
 location <50,0,15>
 look_at <0,0,15>
 angle 45
#else
#if (Overview=yes)
 location <0,12.5,-25>
 look_at <0,0,5>
#else
 location <0,0,-25>
 look_at <0,0,0>
#end
 angle 33
#end
 up y
 right 4/3*x
}

// room
box
{
 -1,1
 scale 100
 material
 {
 texture
 {
  pigment
  {
   gradient x
   color_map
   {
    [0.1 rgb <0.1,0.1,0.9>]
    [0.15 rgb <1,1,1>]
   }
  }
 }
 texture
 {
  pigment
  {
   gradient y
   color_map
   {
    [0.1 rgb <0.1,0.9,0.1>]
    [0.15 rgbt <1,1,1,1>]
   }
  }
 }
#if (PhotonsMedia=yes)
 interior
 {
  media
  {
   scattering
   {
    1, <0.1,0.01,0.1>
   }
   method 3
   intervals 1
   samples 33
  }
 }
#else #end
 }
 translate -33*z
 hollow on
#if (PhotonsMedia=yes)
 photons
 {
  target
  //collect on
  //reflection off
  //refraction on
 }
#else #end
}

// test object between lenses
box
{
 -1,1
 scale <9,0.5,0.1>
 material
 {
  texture
  {
   pigment
   {
    rgb <1,0.01,0.01>
   }
  }
 }
 translate <0,1,10>
}

// lens 1
union
{
 difference
 {
  cylinder
  {
   -1*z,1*z,3.33
  }
  cylinder
  {
   -1.01*z,1.01*z,3
  }
  material
  {
   texture
   {
    pigment
    {
     rgb <0,0,0>
    }
   }
  }
 }

sphere
{
 0,1
 scale <5,5,1>
 clipped_by
 {
  cylinder
  {
   -1.01*z,1.01*z,3
  }
 }
 material
 {
  texture
  {
   pigment
   {
    rgbt <1,1,1,1>
   }
   finish
   {
    emission 0.1
    diffuse 0
   }
  }
   interior
   {
    ior 2.5
   }
 }
}
#if (PhotonsMedia=yes)
photons
{
 target
 collect on
 reflection off
 refraction on
}
 hollow on
#else #end
 translate <0,0,0>
}

// lens 2
union
{
 difference
 {
  cylinder
  {
   -1*z,1*z,3.33
  }
  cylinder
  {
   -1.01*z,1.01*z,3
  }
  material
  {
   texture
   {
    pigment
    {
     rgb <0,0,0>
    }
   }
  }
 }

sphere
{
 0,1
 scale <5,5,1>
 clipped_by
 {
  cylinder
  {
   -1.01*z,1.01*z,3
  }
 }
 material
 {
  texture
  {
   pigment
   {
    rgbt <1,1,1,1>
   }
   finish
   {
    emission 0.1
    diffuse 0
   }
  }
   interior
   {
    ior 2
   }
 }
}
#if (PhotonsMedia=yes)
photons
{
 target
 collect on
 reflection off
 refraction on
}
 hollow on
#else #end
 translate <0,0,15>
}

// lens 3
union
{
 difference
 {
  cylinder
  {
   -1*z,1*z,3.33
  }
  cylinder
  {
   -1.01*z,1.01*z,3
  }
  material
  {
   texture
   {
    pigment
    {
     rgb <0,0,0>
    }
   }
  }
 }
difference
{
sphere
{
 0,1
 scale <5,5,1>
}
sphere
{
 0,1
 scale <10,10,1>
 translate <0,0,-0.25>
}
 clipped_by
 {
  cylinder
  {
   -1.01*z,1.01*z,3
  }
 }
 material
 {
  texture
  {
   pigment
   {
    rgbt <1,1,1,1>
   }
   finish
   {
    emission 0.1
    diffuse 0
   }
  }
   interior
   {
    ior 1.1
   }
 }
}
#if (PhotonsMedia=yes)
photons
{
 target
 collect on
 reflection off
 refraction on
}
 hollow on
#else #end
 translate <0,0,25>
}

// END SCENE

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Oct 2014 10:00:01
Message: <web.5437e6549d3a84f45e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:

>  Sure thing, free time used up now!  :)

It does seem to happen like that, doesn't it?

> Just a hack but I think it's basically
> what they're doing if I understood it right. Objects avoiding the narrow
> refracted area are not seen. No idea how each lens is shaped but this scene file
> seems to do the trick, aside from edge distortion which could possibly be
> reduced or eliminated by either increasing lens size within rings or thickening
> the rings.

There were some videos of the lab setup, and it seems you've got the arrangement
put together accurately.  Nice job!

I haven't ever used photons, and with my slow little laptop it may be a while
yet before I ever do.  That slowed the render down by a factor of 100 or
1000...!

Thanks for indulging my curiosity with your skills

Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Date: 13 Oct 2014 22:20:00
Message: <web.543c87569d3a84f4f4c45c8c0@news.povray.org>
> There were some videos of the lab setup, and it seems you've got the arrangement
> put together accurately.  Nice job!
Not so accurate as you might think, I'm sure you noticed they had 4 lenses and I
only used 3. Just was trying to make it easier to create, and in part wanted to
see how simple it could be done. Photons aren't needed anyhow, I only wanted to
see same thing the real equipment was showing-- and only partly succeeded.

The original experiment probably required refinements to their apparatus to get
a more perfect result.

Not so much skill as experience... 20 years now and so much I still can't do but
always wish I could. Admiring the skills of others is half (and more) of the fun
I've had with POV-Ray!

A big thanks to you for telling of this idea!