POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : build problems... sigh Server Time
5 Jul 2024 11:10:53 EDT (-0400)
  build problems... sigh (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: build problems... sigh
Date: 29 Aug 2014 01:00:01
Message: <web.540008b038dfb671538d4890@news.povray.org>
Once again I find myself having problems building povray on a new system...

In short: I had to upgrade my mint distro to Mint 17

So I'm trying to reconfigure a new system -- hopefully the last time I'll have
to do it for a while since Mint 17 is supposed to be supported through 2019 --
and I try to build povray, and...

checking whether to link with cygwin DLL... no
checking whether to enable static linking... no
checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes
checking for joinable pthread attribute... PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE
checking if more special flags are required for pthreads... no
checking for boostlib >= 1.37... yes
checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
checking whether the boost thread library is usable... no
configure: error: in `/home/lblackthorne/Build/povray':
configure: error: cannot link with the boost thread library
See `config.log' for more details

I have libboost-thread1.54-dev installed.  In fact, I installed
libboost-thread1.54-all-dev

but, for some reason, I can't configure povray.

I think this:

configure:7849: checking whether the boost thread library is usable
configure:7869: g++ -o conftest  -pthread  -pthread -I/usr/include  -L/usr/lib
conftest.cpp   -pthread  >&5
/tmp/ccQH1iGG.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int,
int)':
conftest.cpp:(.text+0x4f): undefined reference to
`boost::system::generic_category()'
conftest.cpp:(.text+0x5b): undefined reference to
`boost::system::generic_category()'
conftest.cpp:(.text+0x67): undefined reference to
`boost::system::system_category()'
configure:7869: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1

is the relevant section of the config.log

Help?  Please.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

Le 29/08/2014 06:59, Anthony D. Baye a écrit :
> Once again I find myself having problems building povray on a new system...
>
> In short: I had to upgrade my mint distro to Mint 17
>
> So I'm trying to reconfigure a new system -- hopefully the last time I'll have
> to do it for a while since Mint 17 is supposed to be supported through 2019 --
> and I try to build povray, and...
>
> checking whether to link with cygwin DLL... no
> checking whether to enable static linking... no
> checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
> checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
> checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes
> checking for joinable pthread attribute... PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE
> checking if more special flags are required for pthreads... no
> checking for boostlib >= 1.37... yes
> checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
> checking whether the boost thread library is usable... no
> configure: error: in `/home/lblackthorne/Build/povray':
> configure: error: cannot link with the boost thread library
> See `config.log' for more details
>
> I have libboost-thread1.54-dev installed.  In fact, I installed
> libboost-thread1.54-all-dev
>
> but, for some reason, I can't configure povray.
>
> I think this:
>
> configure:7849: checking whether the boost thread library is usable
> configure:7869: g++ -o conftest  -pthread  -pthread -I/usr/include  -L/usr/lib
> conftest.cpp   -pthread  >&5
> /tmp/ccQH1iGG.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int,
> int)':
> conftest.cpp:(.text+0x4f): undefined reference to
> `boost::system::generic_category()'
> conftest.cpp:(.text+0x5b): undefined reference to
> `boost::system::generic_category()'
> conftest.cpp:(.text+0x67): undefined reference to
> `boost::system::system_category()'
> configure:7869: $? = 1
> configure: program exited with status 1
>
> is the relevant section of the config.log
>
> Help?  Please.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

Try :

./configure COMPILED_BY="...as usual..." LIBS="-lboost_system
-lboost_thread"

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message

> Once again I find myself having problems building povray on a new
> system...
>
> In short: I had to upgrade my mint distro to Mint 17
>
> So I'm trying to reconfigure a new system -- hopefully the last time I'll
> have to do it for a while since Mint 17 is supposed to be supported
> through 2019 -- and I try to build povray, and...
>
> checking whether to link with cygwin DLL... no
> checking whether to enable static linking... no
> checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
> checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
> checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes
> checking for joinable pthread attribute... PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE
> checking if more special flags are required for pthreads... no
> checking for boostlib >= 1.37... yes
> checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
> checking whether the boost thread library is usable... no
> configure: error: in `/home/lblackthorne/Build/povray':
> configure: error: cannot link with the boost thread library
> See `config.log' for more details
>
> I have libboost-thread1.54-dev installed.  In fact, I installed
> libboost-thread1.54-all-dev
>
> but, for some reason, I can't configure povray.
>
> I think this:
>
> configure:7849: checking whether the boost thread library is usable
> configure:7869: g++ -o conftest  -pthread  -pthread -I/usr/include
> -L/usr/lib
> conftest.cpp   -pthread  >&5
> /tmp/ccQH1iGG.o: In function
> `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int)':
> conftest.cpp:(.text+0x4f): undefined reference to
> `boost::system::generic_category()'
> conftest.cpp:(.text+0x5b): undefined reference to
> `boost::system::generic_category()'
> conftest.cpp:(.text+0x67): undefined reference to
> `boost::system::system_category()'
> configure:7869: $? = 1
> configure: program exited with status 1
>
> is the relevant section of the config.log
>
> Help?  Please.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

The following is what I use on any OpenSuse system.
Maybe it has some pointers
You'll obviously will have to change some names/folders and such

# filename install_povray.sh

# install script for Povray 3.7 master
# this script must be run by root

# First we need to install a bunch of libs that make
# life a whole lot easier when using/compiling Povray

zypper in -l -y automake
zypper in -l -y autoconf
zypper in -l -y boost-devel
zypper in -l -y make
zypper in -l -y gcc
zypper in -l -y gcc-c++
zypper in -l -y libjpeg8-devel
zypper in -l -y openexr-devel
zypper in -l -y openexr
zypper in -l -y libpng12-devel
zypper in -l -y libtiff-devel
zypper in -l -y libSDL-devel
zypper in -l -y libSDL2-devel
zypper in -l -y libXpm-devel
zypper in -l -y libXpm-tools
zypper in -l -y libICE-devel
zypper in -l -y libSM-devel

#prepair for unix (linux) compilation
cd /home/ger/Downloads/povray-master/unix/

# and run the prebuild script
./prebuild.sh

# run configure with the appropriate options
cd /home/ger/Downloads/povray-master
./configure COMPILED_BY="Pietje Puk <p.p### [at] gmailcom>"
--with-boost-thread=boost_thread-mt LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread"

# and now for the heavy lifting part . . .
# Make and install povray

make clean
make install

# all done

Ger

Post a reply to this message

> Le 29/08/2014 06:59, Anthony D. Baye a écrit :
> > Once again I find myself having problems building povray on a new system...
> >
> > In short: I had to upgrade my mint distro to Mint 17
> >
> > So I'm trying to reconfigure a new system -- hopefully the last time I'll have
> > to do it for a while since Mint 17 is supposed to be supported through 2019 --
> > and I try to build povray, and...
> >
> > checking whether to link with cygwin DLL... no
> > checking whether to enable static linking... no
> > checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
> > checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
> > checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
> > checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
> > checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
> > checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes
> > checking for joinable pthread attribute... PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE
> > checking if more special flags are required for pthreads... no
> > checking for boostlib >= 1.37... yes
> > checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
> > checking whether the boost thread library is usable... no
> > configure: error: in `/home/lblackthorne/Build/povray':
> > configure: error: cannot link with the boost thread library
> > See `config.log' for more details
> >
> > I have libboost-thread1.54-dev installed.  In fact, I installed
> > libboost-thread1.54-all-dev
> >
> > but, for some reason, I can't configure povray.
> >
> > I think this:
> >
> > configure:7849: checking whether the boost thread library is usable
> > configure:7869: g++ -o conftest  -pthread  -pthread -I/usr/include  -L/usr/lib
> > conftest.cpp   -pthread  >&5
> > /tmp/ccQH1iGG.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int,
> > int)':
> > conftest.cpp:(.text+0x4f): undefined reference to
> > `boost::system::generic_category()'
> > conftest.cpp:(.text+0x5b): undefined reference to
> > `boost::system::generic_category()'
> > conftest.cpp:(.text+0x67): undefined reference to
> > `boost::system::system_category()'
> > collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> > configure:7869: $? = 1
> > configure: program exited with status 1
> >
> > is the relevant section of the config.log
> >
> > Help?  Please.
> >
> > Regards,
> > A.D.B.
> >

> Try :
>
> ./configure COMPILED_BY="...as usual..." LIBS="-lboost_system
> -lboost_thread"

That worked, thanks.

A.D.B