POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity and emission media Server Time
5 Jul 2024 12:10:45 EDT (-0400)
  radiosity and emission media (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: jceddy
Subject: radiosity and emission media
Date: 24 Jul 2014 14:55:01
Message: <web.53d155ba84a0e924314aa6840@news.povray.org>
I understand that you can turn radiosity effects for emission media on and off
in the radiosity block, but what I'm wondering is whether there's a way, if I
have two objects with emission media, to have the media in ONE object have
radiosity effects and the other not.

Basically, I have a scene with a blue glow-y media object that uses radiosity to
light other objects in the scene, but I also want to create some white media
clouds that *don't* cast light into the scene...

Post a reply to this message

> I understand that you can turn radiosity effects for emission media on and off
> in the radiosity block, but what I'm wondering is whether there's a way, if I
> have two objects with emission media, to have the media in ONE object have
> radiosity effects and the other not.
>
> Basically, I have a scene with a blue glow-y media object that uses radiosity to
> light other objects in the scene, but I also want to create some white media
> clouds that *don't* cast light into the scene...

If the object containing the media-to-be-ignored is just a simple media
containers, it's as simple as specifying "no_radiosity" on the object.

In more complex cases, e.g. if the object also has a semi-transparent
surface that should affect radiosity, you could use two copies of the
object: One with the media and "no_radiosity", and one without the media
and with "no_image no_reflection no_shadow" instead.

Post a reply to this message

> > I understand that you can turn radiosity effects for emission media on and off
> > in the radiosity block, but what I'm wondering is whether there's a way, if I
> > have two objects with emission media, to have the media in ONE object have
> > radiosity effects and the other not.
> >
> > Basically, I have a scene with a blue glow-y media object that uses radiosity to
> > light other objects in the scene, but I also want to create some white media
> > clouds that *don't* cast light into the scene...
>
> If the object containing the media-to-be-ignored is just a simple media
> containers, it's as simple as specifying "no_radiosity" on the object.
>
> In more complex cases, e.g. if the object also has a semi-transparent
> surface that should affect radiosity, you could use two copies of the
> object: One with the media and "no_radiosity", and one without the media
> and with "no_image no_reflection no_shadow" instead.

Perfect, thanks!