POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question on End User Licence Versions 3.6 and V3.7 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 12:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Question on End User Licence Versions 3.6 and V3.7 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Sereib
Subject: Question on End User Licence Versions 3.6 and V3.7
Date: 29 Mar 2014 17:30:00
Message: <web.53373b36cdb24f1a23c3c9c10@news.povray.org>
Hello,

in the EUL of the version 3.6 it states:

"Subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement, permission is granted
to the User to use the Software and its associated files to create and render
images. The creator of a scene file retains all rights to any scene files
they create, and any images generated by the Software from them. Subject to
the other terms of this license, the User is permitted to use the Software in
a profit-making enterprise, provided such profit arises primarily from use of
the Software and not from distribution of the Software or a work including
the Software in whole or part."

This term is no more part of the licence of version 3.7 (or I've overseen it).
So, would I be no more allowed to (commercially) use images rendered with
version 3.7 ?

Thank you!

Post a reply to this message

> in the EUL of the version 3.6 it states:
>
> "Subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement, permission is granted
> to the User to use the Software and its associated files to create and render
> images. The creator of a scene file retains all rights to any scene files
> they create, and any images generated by the Software from them. Subject to
> the other terms of this license, the User is permitted to use the Software in
> a profit-making enterprise, provided such profit arises primarily from use of
> the Software and not from distribution of the Software or a work including
> the Software in whole or part."
>
> This term is no more part of the licence of version 3.7 (or I've overseen it).
> So, would I be no more allowed to (commercially) use images rendered with
> version 3.7 ?

It is in section 2 of the AGPL 3. It explains that the license only covers the
program, not the output.

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

yes, I also saw that the licence does not refer any more to the output (images),
only to the software itself. So if the output is no more part of the EUL, where
can I find the permission to (also commercially) use the output images? Or ist
this issue covered by the "Free Software" state of POV-Ray?

Thanks!

"Thorsten Froehlich" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Sereib" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > in the EUL of the version 3.6 it states:
> >
> > "Subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement, permission is granted
> > to the User to use the Software and its associated files to create and render
> > images. The creator of a scene file retains all rights to any scene files
> > they create, and any images generated by the Software from them. Subject to
> > the other terms of this license, the User is permitted to use the Software in
> > a profit-making enterprise, provided such profit arises primarily from use of
> > the Software and not from distribution of the Software or a work including
> > the Software in whole or part."
> >
> > This term is no more part of the licence of version 3.7 (or I've overseen it).
> > So, would I be no more allowed to (commercially) use images rendered with
> > version 3.7 ?
>
> It is in section 2 of the AGPL 3. It explains that the license only covers the
> program, not the output.
>
> Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> yes, I also saw that the licence does not refer any more to the output (images),
> only to the software itself. So if the output is no more part of the EUL, where
> can I find the permission to (also commercially) use the output images? Or ist
> this issue covered by the "Free Software" state of POV-Ray?

You do not need permission, it is implicit. You own the copyright to any
images that you create.

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message

I just wondered why this clear EUL statement mentioned in my first post of this
thread is no more apparent in the v3.7 licence.

Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 30/03/2014 8:48 AM, Sereib wrote:
> > thank you!
> > yes, I also saw that the licence does not refer any more to the output (images),
> > only to the software itself. So if the output is no more part of the EUL, where
> > can I find the permission to (also commercially) use the output images? Or ist
> > this issue covered by the "Free Software" state of POV-Ray?
>
> You do not need permission, it is implicit. You own the copyright to any
> images that you create.
>
> --
> Regards
>      Stephen
>
> I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message

> I just wondered why this clear EUL statement mentioned in my first post of this
> thread is no more apparent in the v3.7 licence.

The GPL is a standard license from the FSF. Hence you find an FAQ there that
also covers your question and much more:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html

Thorsten