POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : For future consideration Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:12 EDT (-0400)
  For future consideration (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: For future consideration
Date: 17 Feb 2012 12:35:01
Message: <web.4f3e8eb1cf53bc13d7f39bd00@news.povray.org>
I know that the topic of saving povray objects as 3D models has come up before,
but I think the idea is worth exploration.

I also understand that there are macros that do this to some extent or another,
but I'd like to share an idea of mine, and perhaps get input on how it might be
accomplished as a feature in a future version of PoV.

For the purposes of syntax, objects to be saved as 3d files would be required to
be surrounded by an object {} block.

A command line argument +B (for Bake, or +b if flags are case sensitive.)

+BOn -- Bake Objects where n is polygon count
+BT -- Bake Textures (standard image format using +F)
+BN -- Bake Normals
+BL -- Bake Lighting
+BA -- Bake All

(can media be baked?)

also combinations...

+B[{On|T|N|L} | A]

alternatively, baking options could be set in global_settings.

global_settings {
    bake {
        bake_objects <bool>
        bake_textures <bool>