POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : For future consideration : Re: For future consideration Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For future consideration
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 18 Feb 2012 19:45:55
Message: <4f404643$1@news.povray.org>
Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> I also understand that there are macros that do this to some extent
> or another

I think there exist some iso_surface approximation macros, not
sure about anything else. Of course, most primitives could also be
expressed using an implicit function, and CSG can be implemented using
min/max functions, so you could in theory generate iso_surface versions
even for rather complex objects and use these as the basis for mesh
generation.

However, as far as I understand it these macros are very slow even for
normal functions, let alone those representing a complex CSG object.

> For the purposes of syntax, objects to be saved as 3d files would be
> required to be surrounded by an object {} block.

The main problem to be solved is most certainly not the syntax.