POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Mesh2" alternative for general polygons? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:46:23 EDT (-0400)
  "Mesh2" alternative for general polygons? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Alex
Subject: "Mesh2" alternative for general polygons?
Date: 21 Dec 2010 08:25:00
Message: <web.4d10a9b3d820f1b865f972c60@news.povray.org>
Hi,

The "Mesh2" tool is great, but limited to triangles. If I want the same
functionality (e.g., defining the vertex normals, colors, etc. per vertex) for a
set of 'non-triangular' polygons (e.g., a mesh made up by rectangles) - which
tool can I use then?

Many thanks in advance for your response (and Happy Holidays)!
Alexander

Post a reply to this message

> The "Mesh2" tool is great, but limited to triangles. If I want the same
> functionality (e.g., defining the vertex normals, colors, etc. per vertex) for a
> set of 'non-triangular' polygons (e.g., a mesh made up by rectangles) - which
> tool can I use then?

As POV-Ray can only handle triangular meshes, you'd need to subdivide
the polygons into triangles first. If we're talking about externally
generated meshes (e.g. .obj files) I think PoseRay, for instance, can do
such a thing.

Post a reply to this message