POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : More stereo coverage (pics, scenes, instructions), please! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  More stereo coverage (pics, scenes, instructions), please! (Message 22 to 31 of 31)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: More stereo coverage (pics, scenes, instructions), please!
Date: 26 Jul 2010 22:26:17
Message: <4c4e43c9$1@news.povray.org>

>> "Larry Hudson"<org### [at] yahoocom> schreef in bericht
>>
>>> At one time there was a stereo camera available for these View-Master
>>> style pictures. I'm sure it either came with, or had available the
>>> device(s) to mount them properly. Of course, this was a LONG time ago
>>> and
>>> I'm sure it's no longer manufactured. Never had one myself but I
>>> remember
>>> seeing them. Perhaps you could find one on E-Bay?
>>>

>> View Master....<sigh> yes, I remember the name now. If I remember
>> correctly, there was indeed a camera but you had to send the film
>> (already
>> mounted?) to the company for processing. I never owned one though.
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> I never had one either, but sending the film to the company for
> processing is probably right. My thinking that you could mount them
> yourself is strictly from (faulty) memory and assumptions -- always a
> bad idea, of course. :-(
>
> Although I do remember (I think...) it used standard 35mm film.
>
> I used to do all of my own photo processing, including 35mm slides --
> the developing and mounting of slides is a pretty straight-forward
> procedure. Making prints (both B&W and color) is much more involved, but
> fun, and I did a lot of that once-upon-a-time. Most of my printing was
> from 2-1/4 square negatives rather than 35mm. But I haven't done any
> photo processing for many years now... <sigh>
>
> -=- Larry -=-

I don't think. The ViewMaster wheels had around 8mm images, much closer
to the "instamatic" format. If it used normal 35mm film, it would need
to be cut and assembled on the wheels, with lot of waste.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

>> On 07/26/2010 12:16 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> "Larry Hudson"<org### [at] yahoocom> schreef in bericht

>>> View Master....<sigh> yes, I remember the name now. If I remember
>>> correctly, there was indeed a camera but you had to send the film
>>> (already
>>> mounted?) to the company for processing. I never owned one though.
>>>
>>> Thomas
>>>

>> I never had one either, but sending the film to the company for
>> processing is probably right. My thinking that you could mount them
>> yourself is strictly from (faulty) memory and assumptions -- always a
>> bad idea, of course. :-(
>>
>> Although I do remember (I think...) it used standard 35mm film.
>>
>> I used to do all of my own photo processing, including 35mm slides --
>> the developing and mounting of slides is a pretty straight-forward
>> procedure. Making prints (both B&W and color) is much more involved, but
>> fun, and I did a lot of that once-upon-a-time. Most of my printing was
>> from 2-1/4 square negatives rather than 35mm. But I haven't done any
>> photo processing for many years now... <sigh>
>>
>> -=- Larry -=-
>
> I don't think. The ViewMaster wheels had around 8mm images, much closer
> to the "instamatic" format. If it used normal 35mm film, it would need
> to be cut and assembled on the wheels, with lot of waste.
>

> Alain

Ok, I just did what I should have done in the first place...  Remember GIYF
Check out:  http://www.vmresource.com/camera/camera.htm (among other places)

My memory was right, it used standard 35mm film.  It put two images across the 35mm
width, which
is the way I remembered it, but failed to mention.

Also according to this site, the cutting and mounting could be done by the owner, and
it wasn't
necessary to "send it to the company" as Thomas suggested.

I guess my 73 year old memory isn't as flaky as I thought!   ;-)    (This time,
anyway...)

      -=- Larry -=-

Post a reply to this message

>>> I never had one either, but sending the film to the company for
>>> processing is probably right. My thinking that you could mount them
>>> yourself is strictly from (faulty) memory and assumptions -- always a
>>> bad idea, of course. :-(
>>>
>>> Although I do remember (I think...) it used standard 35mm film.
>>>
>>> I used to do all of my own photo processing, including 35mm slides --
>>> the developing and mounting of slides is a pretty straight-forward
>>> procedure. Making prints (both B&W and color) is much more involved, but
>>> fun, and I did a lot of that once-upon-a-time. Most of my printing was
>>> from 2-1/4 square negatives rather than 35mm. But I haven't done any
>>> photo processing for many years now... <sigh>
>>>
>>> -=- Larry -=-
>>
>> I don't think. The ViewMaster wheels had around 8mm images, much closer
>> to the "instamatic" format. If it used normal 35mm film, it would need
>> to be cut and assembled on the wheels, with lot of waste.
>>

>> Alain
>
> Ok, I just did what I should have done in the first place... Remember GIYF
> Check out: http://www.vmresource.com/camera/camera.htm (among other places)
>
> My memory was right, it used standard 35mm film. It put two images
> across the 35mm width, which is the way I remembered it, but failed to
> mention.
>
> Also according to this site, the cutting and mounting could be done by
> the owner, and it wasn't necessary to "send it to the company" as Thomas
> suggested.
>
> I guess my 73 year old memory isn't as flaky as I thought! ;-) (This
> time, anyway...)
>
> -=- Larry -=-

Ingenious setup.

If they had made it in the 70's, they may have used instamatic cartridges.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Ok, I just did what I should have done in the first place...  Remember
> GIYF
> Check out:  http://www.vmresource.com/camera/camera.htm (among other
> places)
>
> My memory was right, it used standard 35mm film.  It put two images across
> the 35mm width, which is the way I remembered it, but failed to mention.
>
> Also according to this site, the cutting and mounting could be done by the
> owner, and it wasn't necessary to "send it to the company" as Thomas
> suggested.
>
> I guess my 73 year old memory isn't as flaky as I thought!   ;-)    (This
> time, anyway...)

Excellent!  That explains everything and puts things right again. :-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message