POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can't add lights to SketchUp file Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Can't add lights to SketchUp file (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: lmk@kmiecik-architects com
Subject: Can't add lights to SketchUp file
Date: 23 Apr 2010 09:35:01
Message: <web.4bd1a0fa474f1ead99366d990@news.povray.org>

program appears in the plugins drop down menu, lists the lights and when I run
Go it renders the scene but no lights are installed. When trying to install a
light I get the light configuration, click OK, but it never adds one to the

can only copy a light and place one that way. I can copy a light from the
windmill.skp file and insert in my skp file, but only the point light because
there is no spotlights in the windmill file. I have tried to import the lights

the beta version 3.7 with the same results. I have been using 2.4. What happened
to all the other features, like area lights, real light, glow?

I have SketchUp 7.1.6860
POV-Ray version 3.6.2.msvc9.win64
and this is my system information:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition version 2003 Service Pack 2
Dell Precision M440
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
P8700 @2.53GHz
3.98 GB Ram

Thanks for any help, even if you just send me a file/scene with both lights in
it and I can copy and paste.

Post a reply to this message

> program appears in the plugins drop down menu, lists the lights and when I run
> Go it renders the scene but no lights are installed. When trying to install a
> light I get the light configuration, click OK, but it never adds one to the

> can only copy a light and place one that way. I can copy a light from the
> windmill.skp file and insert in my skp file, but only the point light because
> there is no spotlights in the windmill file. I have tried to import the lights

> the beta version 3.7 with the same results. I have been using 2.4. What happened
> to all the other features, like area lights, real light, glow?
>
> I have SketchUp 7.1.6860
> POV-Ray version 3.6.2.msvc9.win64
> and this is my system information:
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition version 2003 Service Pack 2
> Dell Precision M440
> Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
> P8700 @2.53GHz
> 3.98 GB Ram
>
> Thanks for any help, even if you just send me a file/scene with both lights in
> it and I can copy and paste.

I can't help you with the Sketchup part.

For the POV-Ray part:

A simple basic light:
light_source{Location rgb 1}

Keep in mind that the light_source is NOT visible by itself.
To make it visible, change the definition with looks_like:

light_source{Location rgb 1
	looks_like{sphere{0, 1 texture{pigment{rgb 1}finish{ambient 1}}
	}

Here is a sample spot light:
light_source{Location rgb 1 spotlight
	radius 30 // in degrees
	falloff 50 // also in degrees
	point_at <0,0,0>
  }

For an area_light, just add: area_light Dim*x, Dim*z 17,17 adaptive 0
circular orient
to have a nice area light that act like it's a glowing sphere.

"real light" was never a feature.
"glow" "athmosphere" "halo" have been removed and replaced by media.

Please read the documentations under light_source.
For athmospheric effects, please read under interior and media.

Can you post the error message you get?

Alain

Post a reply to this message