POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Complex HDRI mapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Complex HDRI mapping (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Subject: Re: Complex HDRI mapping
Date: 18 Sep 2009 23:05:01
Message: <web.4ab4495a6b287d3dc67b294d0@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> I have some scenes with complex lighting models that render terribly slowly, I
> would like to find alternative lighting options for these scenes.
>
> Does HDRI lend itself to this sort of thing?
>
> Fake Lighing, any suggestions?
>
> I need reflection, refraction and media effects.  Am I stuck with traditional
> lighting and week-long renders?
>
> I saw some experiments with progressive re-rendering of Radiosity images, a
> while back.  Any suggestions, ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> A.D.B.

When you say complex lighting, what are you referring to?

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 19 Sep 2009 11:24:30
Message: <4ab4f7ae$1@news.povray.org>

> "Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
>> I have some scenes with complex lighting models that render terribly slowly, I
>> would like to find alternative lighting options for these scenes.
>>
>> Does HDRI lend itself to this sort of thing?
>>
>> Fake Lighing, any suggestions?
>>
>> I need reflection, refraction and media effects.  Am I stuck with traditional
>> lighting and week-long renders?
>>
>> I saw some experiments with progressive re-rendering of Radiosity images, a
>> while back.  Any suggestions, ideas?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> A.D.B.
>
> When you say complex lighting, what are you referring to?
>
> -tgq

About 12+ light_source at locations that are visible, and associated
with relatively complexe objects. Some are submerged into a fountain.
Some have media added. Most have acive transparent parts (have ior
colour fading, reflection,...).

One of those, with it's associated object, took about 1 week to render,
with only a base plane added to show the shadowing.

Alain