POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request: Various SDL / Command Line Stuff Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Feature request: Various SDL / Command Line Stuff (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Feature request: Various SDL / Command Line Stuff
Date: 20 Mar 2009 16:35:01
Message: <web.49c3fd95a38ff530db388e5b0@news.povray.org>
"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Thanks Carlo for speaking up .... I read clipka's post several times and I
> kept thinking isn't that what the 'right' keyword is for?
>
> I use this in my camera definition:
> right x*image_width/image_height

So do I, typically, but...

> then all I have to do is  +w1024 +w768 or even +w1600 +900 and bingo!!!
>
> What have I missed?

The current version of the FAQ is very clear on this, saying "DON'T!"

First time I read it, I was like, *WHAT*?? But reading through it, I noticed
that the FAQ does make some valid points, arguing that this only works with 1:1
pixel aspect ratio; and if scenes are passed on, people may not get the shot
intended by the artist because they happen to normally use a different aspect
ratio.

The "right x*image_width/image_height" approach does *not* allow you to specify
in the scene file what aspect ratio you designed it for.

The current set of .ini and scene parameters does give you all the *freedom* you
may ever need - but it is poor at specifying *constraints*.

Post a reply to this message