POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rune's particle system not working Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Rune's particle system not working (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: SharkD
Subject: Rune's particle system not working
Date: 9 Dec 2008 22:45:01
Message: <web.493f3b03dc5b80fb2c4b57320@news.povray.org>
I have an old scene that makes use of Rune's particle system. However, in POV
3.7 the particles are not appearing. Does anyone know what might have been
changed to keep it from working and how I might fix it? Here's an example of an
reported error that might offer some clues:

Particle system "explosion_a" is called.
 - Number of currently active particles: 0
 - Particle system finished.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I have an old scene that makes use of Rune's particle system. However, in POV
> 3.7 the particles are not appearing. Does anyone know what might have been
> changed to keep it from working and how I might fix it? Here's an example of an
> reported error that might offer some clues:
>
> Particle system "explosion_a" is called.
>  - Number of currently active particles: 0
>  - Particle system finished.
>
> -Mike

I did some testing, and determined that the problem is due to the search path
when including files.

For example, say that your scene file is located in Directory A, and it includes
a file located in Directory B. This include file, however, includes a *third*
file that is located in Directory A. In POV 3.6 this is entirely possible. In
POV 3.7 this doesn't work.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I did some testing, and determined that the problem is due to the search path
> when including files.
>
> For example, say that your scene file is located in Directory A, and it includes
> a file located in Directory B. This include file, however, includes a *third*
> file that is located in Directory A. In POV 3.6 this is entirely possible. In
> POV 3.7 this doesn't work.
>
> -Mike

Scratch all that. The real problem was due to the fact that you can't include
files with the ".data" extension. You also can't check them using the
"file_exists" method. Is this intentional?

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Scratch all that. The real problem was due to the fact that you can't
> include
> files with the ".data" extension. You also can't check them using the
> "file_exists" method. Is this intentional?

I suppose this is because of the beta status...

Thomas