POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tool to polygonize isosurfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Tool to polygonize isosurfaces? (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: SharkD
Subject: Tool to polygonize isosurfaces?
Date: 20 Nov 2008 01:35:00
Message: <web.49250482c71e509a33586b600@news.povray.org>
I know there is a tool to create meshes from parametric functions and thereby
speeding up rendering, but is there also one to create meshes from the implicit
functions used in isosurfaces?

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I know there is a tool to create meshes from parametric functions and thereby
> speeding up rendering, but is there also one to create meshes from the implicit
> functions used in isosurfaces?
>
> -Mike

I managed to find one here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/message/%3C47be20ab%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C47be20ab%40news.povray.
org%3E

This tutorial describes them, but the links are dead:

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/approx.htm

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

>I know there is a tool to create meshes from parametric functions and thereby
>speeding up rendering, but is there also one to create meshes from the implicit
>functions used in isosurfaces?

There is one, but it's usually a lot slower than using actual
isosurfaces, so it's much less useful.

See: http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/approx.htm

The code for all the images, including both versions of the macro, is in
the ZIP file at the bottom of the page.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> The code for all the images, including both versions of the macro, is in
> the ZIP file at the bottom of the page.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

OK, thanks. The box with the ZIP file looked like a banner advertisement, so I
overlooked it.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> > The code for all the images, including both versions of the macro, is in
> > the ZIP file at the bottom of the page.
> >
> > --
> > Mike Williams
> > Gentleman of Leisure
>
> OK, thanks. The box with the ZIP file looked like a banner advertisement, so I
> overlooked it.
>
> -Mike

Please see the scene files group for the trouble I am having.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message