POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tool to polygonize isosurfaces? : Re: Tool to polygonize isosurfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tool to polygonize isosurfaces?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 26 Nov 2008 00:23:59
Message: <WFdKWeCPuNLJFwUW@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it SharkD who wrote:
>Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>> There is one, but it's usually a lot slower than using actual
>> isosurfaces, so it's much less useful.
>
>I hope it's not slower, because that (as well as the visual artifacts
>that occur
>frequently when using isosurfaces) is the primary reason I want to use it.

As mentioned on my page, there are some circumstances where you might
gain speed advantages. With real isosurfaces, the parse time is
negligible and the render time is large. With the approximation macro,
the parse time is large and the render time is small. If you need to
render the same object more than once (e.g. in each frame of an
animation) then you can save the mesh data after it has been parsed
once.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure