POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render farms? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:14:06 EDT (-0400)
  Render farms? (Message 21 to 28 of 28)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Render farms?
Date: 8 Dec 2008 17:02:14
Message: <k86rj45tj50b0d3vhcrb4lmo3qfqhcoh35@4ax.com>
On Mon,  8 Dec 2008 12:36:50 EST, "SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>Heh. I could have used a render farm this week. 36 frames taking roughly 45
>minutes each. I may need it again later if I decide to use area lights and
>focal blur.

Me too. I had 15 hours for 300 frames then a redo because of an oops.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Dec 2008 03:20:57
Message: <493e2a69$1@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht

> I don't see what are all the skills needed. Show some interest in a
> renderfarm, wait for me to get the thing back up and running, then email
> me .pov files.

most of my work involve many multi MB mesh files, often totalling 50 or
100MB.... I don't think that is really practical.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 09:20:57 +0100, "Thomas de Groot"
<tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:

>"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
>>
>> I don't see what are all the skills needed. Show some interest in a
>> renderfarm, wait for me to get the thing back up and running, then email
>> me .pov files.
>>

>most of my work involve many multi MB mesh files, often totalling 50 or
>100MB.... I don't think that is really practical.

This is true, (something I forgot). In my last animation for the TC-RTC I had
300 frames which meant 900 meshes weighing 5.5 Gig.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> most of my work involve many multi MB mesh files, often totalling 50 or
> 100MB.... I don't think that is really practical.

How much if compressed with 7-zip?

Post a reply to this message

> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> most of my work involve many multi MB mesh files, often totalling 50 or
>> 100MB.... I don't think that is really practical.
>
> How much if compressed with 7-zip?

Well, a typical mesh will be reduced by about 70%.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Well, a typical mesh will be reduced by about 70%.
>
> Thomas

Hmmm... Makes me wonder whether POV could maybe read compressed files as well as
uncompressed files in a future version? However, it's not a big deal if it
can't.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message