POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render farms? : Re: Render farms? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render farms?
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 10 Dec 2008 18:19:26
Message: <49404e7e@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Would it make a difference I wonder? POV would have to unzip the files
> first, wouldn't it? Or are you thinking about a way in which POV could use
> the zipped files directly? I must add that I know nothing about these
> things, so my question is probably stupid... :-)

It should be possible to read from a zipped file directly, except POV-Ray
implements macros by seeking in the file, and compressed files aren't
random-access.

A plain old mesh2 should, in theory, work fine from a compressed file.

My ex-renderfarm uncompressed the 7zip archive before starting each render
(yes, it was uncompressed for every frame, even if nothing changed).