POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scene file and command-line switches for Spec CPU2006? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Scene file and command-line switches for Spec CPU2006? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: jhu
Subject: Scene file and command-line switches for Spec CPU2006?
Date: 29 Jul 2008 22:45:00
Message: <web.488fd4e8314fb3a08b562d820@news.povray.org>
I was wondering if anyone would happen to know what the scene files and
command-line switches are for the POV-Ray benchmark that's used in Spec
CPU2006?

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Jul 2008 00:26:15
Message: <488fed67$1@news.povray.org>
jhu wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone would happen to know what the scene files and
> command-line switches are for the POV-Ray benchmark that's used in Spec
> CPU2006?

They are unfortunately using chess2.pov against our recommendations. If I
could find the SPEC 2006 CD (which I did put somewhere, I am certain ;-) ) I
could check what INI file they finally used, but that, too, was against our
recommendations iirc. What we learnt was that lots of politics between large
corporations dictate SPEC choices :-(

BTW, running a single program from the SPEC 2006 benchmark is not very
representative. So what do you really want to do? There is a benchmark scene
built into POV-Ray as you might know...

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

I wanted to see how my computer compares with others on povray. I had originally
wanted to get an itanium system for povray purposes, but after looking at the
povray score and TDP of the processor itself, I decided against it.

> jhu wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone would happen to know what the scene files and
> > command-line switches are for the POV-Ray benchmark that's used in Spec
> > CPU2006?
>
> They are unfortunately using chess2.pov against our recommendations. If I
> could find the SPEC 2006 CD (which I did put somewhere, I am certain ;-) ) I
> could check what INI file they finally used, but that, too, was against our
> recommendations iirc. What we learnt was that lots of politics between large
> corporations dictate SPEC choices :-(
>
> BTW, running a single program from the SPEC 2006 benchmark is not very
> representative. So what do you really want to do? There is a benchmark scene
> built into POV-Ray as you might know...
>
>  Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> I wanted to see how my computer compares with others on povray. I had originally
> wanted to get an itanium system for povray purposes, but after looking at the
> povray score and TDP of the processor itself, I decided against it.

Then check out <http://new.haveland.com/povbench/index.php> and
<http://www.tabsnet.com/>, but of course take some of the far above average
submissions with caution (some people just fail to run the benchmarks
correctly).

	Thorsten