POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy (Message 111 to 120 of 165)
From: Nicolas George
Subject: Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
Date: 16 Jul 2008 19:16:18
Message: <487e8142$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson  wrote in message <487e7d38@news.povray.org>:
> Shareware authors get their software included in magazines and such
> fairly regularly - all that has to happen is the publisher asks
> permission (or the author asks the publisher to include it on a
> compilation disc).

Ok. But the point of libre software is not the freedom of the original
author, it is the freedom of other people.

Author of shareware control the diffusion of their works, that implies they
limit this diffusion. That is, of course, necessary if they want to benefit
from it. But the raw result is that the software is less available than it
could be.

Post a reply to this message