POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Warp
Date: 16 Jul 2008 19:54:23
Message: <487e8a2f@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:
> >   The author has all the moral, ethical, philosophical and legal right
> > to prohibit people from making money by selling his hard work he is
> > himself distributing for free.

> Legal, yed. Moral, ethical and philosophical, I do not agree.

  He is the author of the software. He *owns* the software. Are you
saying he doesn't have the moral right to limit how his software is
used?

  To me "this software is and must always be completely free of cost,
and nobody should ever ask money for it" sounds like a high and commendable
principle. You are telling me he doesn't have the moral right to do that?

--
                                                          - Warp