POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy (Message 106 to 115 of 165)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
Date: 16 Jul 2008 16:52:55
Message: <487e5fa7$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> but just want to cause arguments about the definition of "free software".

It worked. ;-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

From: Nicolas George
Date: 16 Jul 2008 18:36:34
Message: <487e77f2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp  wrote in message <487e5c30@news.povray.org>:
>   They should understand that some people want to contribute to the free
> software world, but they might really not want anyone making money from
> their hard work.

And the people who try to limit commercial uses should stop and think two
minutes about what money could be made from the software they are
distributing, and realize that in most cases, their condition is totally
useless and counterproductive.

>   The author has all the moral, ethical, philosophical and legal right
> to prohibit people from making money by selling his hard work he is
> himself distributing for free.

Legal, yed. Moral, ethical and philosophical, I do not agree.

>   I would really like you to say the FSF that!

I am not currently trolling with the FSF.

>   Wrong. I still think the software can be considered free, as in freedom,
> as in libre (and of course as in no-cost) if the author doesn't want anyone
> making money by selling it.

And I do not think so.

Post a reply to this message